75g plants/nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerbarb12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 75g set up for a couple of months now. Id say i started it up late november. Anyhow, ive had plants in it for about a week now, and they dont show signs of growth. Tehitian moon sand with root tabs, dose ferts from GLA, co2 set at roughly 3.5 bps, drop checker is almost green, has a slight blue hue to it. Several days ago, i bought 4 tiger barbs and they all died within 2 days. My nitrates were reading 40+, never can tell above 40 because the colors are too close... after 4 50% water changes in a row, its just now barely below 40.... i suspect that the possible 200ppm nitrates from last week killed the barbs. Anyhow, why arent my plants consuming this excessive nitrate? Do the plants need more than a week to settle?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~30
pH 7.5
3.5bps co2
GLA macros and micros
Seachem root tabs
I have one of each:

Amazon Sword
Anubius Nana
Temple Compacta
Gold Ribbon
Bacopa Caroliniana

I have had my 75g set up for a couple of months now. Id say i started it up late november. Anyhow, ive had plants in it for about a week now, and they dont show signs of growth. Tehitian moon sand with root tabs, dose ferts from GLA, co2 set at roughly 3.5 bps, drop checker is almost green, has a slight blue hue to it. Several days ago, i bought 4 tiger barbs and they all died within 2 days. My nitrates were reading 40+, never can tell above 40 because the colors are too close... after 4 50% water changes in a row, its just now barely below 40.... i suspect that the possible 200ppm nitrates from last week killed the barbs. Anyhow, why arent my plants consuming this excessive nitrate? Do the plants need more than a week to settle?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~30
pH 7.5
3.5bps co2
GLA macros and micros
Seachem root tabs
I have one of each:

Amazon Sword
Anubius Nana
Temple Compacta
Gold Ribbon
Bacopa Caroliniana

Maybe your dosing abit much kno3? I'd also dial up your co2 abit more maybe go another bps?

What lighting so you have on the tank? High light?

Also what plants do you have? Are you heavily planted?

Plants listed at the bottom of the post. I havent dosed kno3 for a couple days. I have 2 48" finex planted +

Plants listed at the bottom of the post. I havent dosed kno3 for a couple days. I have 2 48" finex planted +

Depending how many you have of each of those plants they might not be needing as much kno3. I had an issue recently where my nitrates became extremely high due to me now allowing for the stock in the tank and over dosing kno3. After about a month it built up so much I was up over 80ppm even with 50% weekly changes.

I'd cut back abit on the ferts and see if that helps. You may not even need to dose kno3 if your fish are producing enough.

Also the plants you have are relatively slow growers so they wouldn't be using a lot of nutrients. You could get a few more fast growing stem plants to use up more nitrates aswell

Golden ribbon is probably a draceana species which if it is isnt aquatic. You have a decent size tank. If you don't mind some floaters there great at nitrate adsorption.

The gold ribbon will probably end up in my yard.. i only have petsmart near me and they either sell false aquatic plants or a few unhealthy plants... ill have to order online, but can anyone list some fast growing stem plants and maybe a nitrate eating floater?

Fast growing stems
Rotala sp
Elodea ( watch glut)
Wisteria and sprite (stem like)
Bacopa sp. (for some)

Floaters I like s.minima, frog bit, dwarf lettuce, red root floaters

Just research find what you like. It's your tank if your happy that what matters.

Back
Top Bottom