7800k plant light, 17 watts enough light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was planning on buying a new T5 light for my 29 gallon tank but my funds met with an emergency. I am using a 4ft shop light with 6500k bulbs right now. It is way to big and bulky. I have a couple of 24" plant lights with 17 watt, 7800k single bulbs that I have used to grow seedlings for my garden. If I buy new bulbs, if I can find them, will they give me medium light. The whole light is just $11 a piece at Walmarts. I thought I would take the plastic cover off the bulbs, mount them side by side, and build a reflector for them. They are thin so I could mount three of them together if that would be better. That would give me 51 watts of light. I am running a diy CO2 setup. What degree of light would this give me?

I saw on another forum where people were using those round clamp lights with CFL spiral bulbs to light their tanks. Those are cheap at $8 a fixture plus the cost of spiral bulbs. Would that be a better setup for right now? Have to start saving again to get a T5 light.

I use the grow lights you're talking about and buy my bulbs at lowes for about $6 each. They have special plant/aquarium bulbs in all different sizes. I run 1 of them on my 10 gallon and can't keep the plants trimmed fast enough.

I went to Lowes and Walmart tonight and had no luck finding replacement bulbs for the plant lights I have. The bulbs in them still light up but they have been running for about a year so I figured they needed replaced. Nether place had the bulbs. Walmart did have a T5 under cabinet link able strip light for around $10. It only came with a 15 watt 4200k bulb though. They didn't have 6500k bulbs for them though. I ended up buying 3 of these lights.Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light - Walmart.com and a pack of 75 watt 6500k compact fluorescent bulbs. I am going to try that and see how it works out. If I don't like it I will go back to walmart and get a couple of the plant lights with the 7800k bulbs. If I can find the right size T5 bulbs to fit the under cabinet light from Walmart I would just go ahead and get three of them.

Any one have any opinions on which of these setups would work best.

Option 1: Three 2ft, 17 watt T8 light with 7800k bulbs
Option 2: Three or Four 2ft, 15 watt T5 lights with 6500k bulbs
Option 3: three 8 1/2 inch dome clamp lights with 6500k compact fluorescent bulbs

Each setup would cost about the same. Under $50

Back
Top Bottom