90 gallon advice lighting, substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris7495

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I just started a 90 gallon acrylic clear for life tank I bought used. In the past I just used the sand from petco and the zoo med aqua sun t5 ho light. I have had some mixed results with my plants so i figured I would ask the more expierenced before buying. I would like the ability to grow whatever I want in the tank but I mostly grow low and medium light plants. Due to the tank I cannot mount the light onto it so the light will have to have to come with a stand, my t5's on the other tank attach to the side but that wouldn't work here.

I really don't know much about substrate but like the look of sand and would prefer a black or maybe blue color. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

I have been looking up substrates, anyone use Caribsea Tahitian, Eco-complete, or sachem fluorite.

Chris7495 said:
I have been looking up substrates, anyone use Caribsea Tahitian, Eco-complete, or sachem fluorite.

I've used fluvals stratum before and it did great, and just began using seachems fluorite in a tank for about a week and a half now, from what I can tell its doing good things and I like it because its heavier then the fluval stuff. The stratum wouldn't hold down any plants from floating away so I had to cap it with sand, I know fluval wasn't on your list but just some first hand experience hah. All of the substrates you mention are being used by a lot of people on this forum and I haven't really heard any terrible things and mostly hear good things so its probably just going to come down to what you like the looks of best

Zimmanski said:
I've used fluvals stratum before and it did great, and just began using seachems fluorite in a tank for about a week and a half now, from what I can tell its doing good things and I like it because its heavier then the fluval stuff. The stratum wouldn't hold down any plants from floating away so I had to cap it with sand, I know fluval wasn't on your list but just some first hand experience hah. All of the substrates you mention are being used by a lot of people on this forum and I haven't really heard any terrible things and mostly hear good things so its probably just going to come down to what you like the looks of best

Oh I did not know fluval made a substrate, I usually like their products but if its that light ill pass. Sounds like the fluorite is what I looking for. Any ideas for lighting? Should I go with T5HO, halid, or led's?

I don't mean to put down fluvals stuff, and it's not like the substrate floats, just my more float-y plants had to have something else hold them down. For lighting, What are the dimensions of your tank?

Edit: float-y haha buoyant was the word I was looking for, I'm sleepy

I don't mean to put down fluvals stuff, and it's not like the substrate floats, just my more float-y plants had to have something else hold them down. For lighting, What are the dimensions of your tank?

Edit: float-y haha buoyant was the word I was looking for, I'm sleepy

Lol, its ok. I'm glad you said something as I would hate to spend $100+ on a substrate then have problems with it holding the plants down. It's a clear for life 90 gallon. It's 48L 18W 24H, I just want to mak sure I get a light that is good enough to grow different plants at that height. Not to sure about LEDs, my t5's have been so so.

I have a dual t5no on my 55 and it seems like it would be okay with moderate light plants, I think it's 18" high though, not sure

On my 100g I'm currently running a quad deep blue sea (I think) t5ho fixture that I picked up on craigslist... No CO2 or fert dosing. I've got reds and my purple camboa is flourishing.

As far as substrate I've got about 70ish pounds of black blasting sand.

I use eco-complete in my all my tanks...its awesome in all my setups& like the color it offers(black). I'd reccomend a quad t5 Ho with 2 6,500k bullbs&2 10,000k bulbs..A couple pics..

ForumRunner_20121021_184828.jpg

ForumRunner_20121021_184927.jpg

ForumRunner_20121021_185004.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121021_185004.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121021_185004.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20121021_185027.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121021_185027.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 86
Very nice! What're you feeding those swords?

Haha! And that is a less than three months difference! That pic isn't the best way to display the reds in the tank either!

The tank is well stocked for one.... For "ferts" I'm simply using oscomote as Excel melts my both my broadleaf and dwarf sag. I've got it in my "sump" and somewhat scattered throughout the sand.

I've read somewhere on the forum about putting osmocote in an ice tray with tank water&then adding the cube to the substrate near the plant..how do you add the osmocote to your tank? Also I have a thin layer below my substrate in my 10g&the plants grow very well with that..

I've added it a number of ways.... Wrapped in a piece of coffee filter into the sand, frozen in an ice cube, added loosely under the sand, sprinkled in the sump.... and the most controversial of all: softened and crushed in a bowl of tank water and dumped into the water column.

When I feel like spending the money I really like the API tabs as well... I *might* look into dry ferts.

Also, kind of an aside, I also have angels and they do occasionally prune my plants for me. One ate an entire leaf and a half off of a 24in tall plant!

Very nice tanks guys, thanks for all he suggestions. I went with seachem's florite black, I really like how heavy it is. I'm glad a double t5ho is good enough to for this size of a tank, I'll just have to keep an eye out for a decent deal.

Chris7495 said:
Very nice tanks guys, thanks for all he suggestions. I went with seachem's florite black, I really like how heavy it is. I'm glad a double t5ho is good enough to for this size of a tank, I'll just have to keep an eye out for a decent deal.

Ooooooo! Updated pics when you get it all settled!

Edit: Where are my manors... Please?

As with most things, you usually get what you pay for. Just know that some t5ho fixtures are night and day comparatively. For example, a coralife fixture does not put out nearly the same amount of light as one that has individual reflectors and better quality ballasts and bulbs like a catalina or ATI fixture.

This link has a nice chart with data comparisons so you can get an idea.
Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Note that the cheaper quality fixtures still have their place and can still operate a high/medium/low tech tank if you set it up right, just note that there is a substantial difference between the brands.

Ooooooo! Updated pics when you get it all settled!

Edit: Where are my manors... Please?

Lol, I just got the light and added some plants. I'll be taking pics soon. I ended up getting a double aquatic life t5 and could not be happier with the tank. All I need is a canopy and ill be adding fish in no time.

Back
Top Bottom