92g corner tank journal - updated 3-25 **dialup warning**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey ppl.........I'm back!
Hopefully, for good...lol.
I've been bedriden for what seems like forever cuz I threw my back out.
Needless to say.......my tanks got neglected and took a turn for the worst so I am in the process of getting them back on track.

I decided to pull all the hardscape out and start fresh.....it was not holding up as well as I'd liked anyhow.

So here we are.....two weeks after the redo and it's starting to look good again.

Attachments

• DSC04375_800x450.jpg
    DSC04375_800x450.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 109
AMAZING! I wish I could just get my plants to grow and not have the algae issues :( but yours is just stunning!

That tank was always one of my favorites. Looks like you have done it again! Looks great, only going to get better. Good to see you back, I've been away for awhile myself, plan on being around more:)

Thanks guys.........lol blazey.......if I was to take some closeups you'd see plenty of algae hehe.

In fact, the past week I've gotten some real nasty free floating algae or something I've never encountered before. At first I thought it was mulm from workin on the tank all the time but it's just getting worse and even when alot of it settles on the plants the tank is milky. The particles are grayish in color and can be as large as a bb.
I attribute whatever this is to my UVS bulb going out.......I'm currently waiting for my replacement to arrive. Hopefully this stuff will go away when I get that replaced.

Thx pitt,

Here are some new shots taken today:

The view from my couch :D sometimes I just leave the TV off.
3-08-from-couch.jpg

3-08-full.jpg

3-08-hillstream.jpg

3-08-nice-closeup.jpg

3-08-pearl.jpg

Love the shot of the Hillsteam Loach. It looks like it's in heaven in that aquarium.

I've also cut my fert schedule in half.
I noticed alot of shrimp deaths and thought it might have something to do with that.

Probably true. The usual suspect is copper; most plant ferts include copper as one of their trace elements but even really tiny amounts of copper are toxic to RCS and most of the other dwarf shrimp in the hobby. The toxicity isn't immediate but the copper builds up in their systems (apparently they have no way to excrete it) and after a certain amount has built up, you typically see a crash of the entire shrimp population in pretty short order.

People who specialize in dwarf shrimp (like the folks at Petshrimp.com -- Freshwater Shrimp Hub of the world) generally say that in a tank, you need to choose either fertilizing or having shrimp, because long-term you are not going to be able to pull off both.

Back
Top Bottom