A clean slate w/plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie1025

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there!
I haven't had many good experiences with planted tanks, I can barely take care of Java Moss...
But I'm ready to start trying again, and not give up this time!

I have a 55 community tank in the process of stocking - I currently have 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 6 Zebra Danios, and a female Betta in there. The lights are Aqueon T8 Full Spectrum fluorescents.

I plan to go to Petsmart, Petco, or my LFS soon - can anyone reccommend some easy-to-find, low-maintenance, cheap plants?
Some basic steps on how to care for them would be much appreciated as well!

I have Wisteria and Amazon Swords and so far they are both growing and doing fine!

Anubias, Java Fern, swords, and crypts (wendtii are really easy). Try a combo of those to start out with. Add micro and macro ferts a couple times a week for plant health--they are not essential for low light, but they will help. Root tabs are needed for crypts and swords. Flourish Excel, API CO2 booster, or Metricide 14 for a carbon additive isn't essential, but will help in terms of plant health. Plants love water changes! I recommend a water change once a week or once every two weeks for fish health and tank cleanliness (reduced algae as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom