A few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. Ok so i just ordered a gh, kh and phosphate test kits. I already have ph, nitrite, nitrate, and amonia test kits. Are there any other test kits i need to help manage my plants?

2. How do i manage/fix a nitrate phosphate imbalance. I have an algae problem and it hasnt been going away and i was told that the problem could be an inbalance of the two.

3. I am getting a 40gallon soon and i wanted to make it a highlight planted tank (3wpg or so) with CO2 injection and all that fancy stuff. So i wanted to know how long a 5lb CO2 tank would last.

Thats all for now, thanks for your help!

!. I think you have it covered.

2. You want phosphate and nitrate in a one to ten ratio. Test for both and see where you are. Then you can start to work out a fert plan. You will need to add potassium as well. You cant measure for it so your best bet is to add 10ppm twice a week.

3. I would guess 4-6 months maybe longer.

1. That's all you really need.
2. To fix the imbalance, if the nitrates are high, do a pwc, and test again. Once the nitrates are where you want them, check your phosphates. If not 10:1, then add the phosphate til it's 10:1. (10 nitrate:1 phosphate) Or if the nitrate is lower, then add nitrogen to bring it up to a 10:1. What I'm planning for my tank is do the pwc, then bring the ratio in line by raising the lower value to meet the 10:1 ratio.
3. From what I hear, about 2-3 months I believe. I'm going to be changing from a 5lb on my 75G to a 20lb probably. Gives me more time between fills.

ok thanks

another question, where do you get a CO2 tank filled, and how much does it cost? I found a supplier online where i can get a new tank w/ CO2 for $50, but i'm not sure if thats a good deal.
Also, i know you have to be 18 to buy helium tanks. Do you have to be 18 to buy CO2? I suppose it doesnt matter over the internet so much as trying to get refills. I don't know how much my parents would appreciate me having to drag them to get refills.

You can call any welding shop to see where you can get it filled. Where I got my tank, they said refills are around $12.00 for the 5lb.

As for being 18 to get refills, not sure. Check your tank source and see what the price difference is between a 5lb and 10lb. 10lb would last almost twice as long between fills. I'm sure your parents would take you and get it refilled for you, or maybe even a friend or relative. :)

ok not too bad. I will ask one of the teachers at my school, because she teaches a welding class, i'm sure she could tell me where to get a refill thanks again.

Actually, you can find better, cheaper on Ebay. I got all my CO2 stuff there. One of the better regulators is the Milwaukee. Check it out. Do a search for CO2 regulator on ebay and see if you find something you like before ordering from F&S.

Back
Top Bottom