A journal for my first planted tank - 26g bowfront low tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
After what I feel is quite a bit of research for me as well as a lot of lurking in forums, I've accumulated everything and started my first low-tech planted tank build.

Equipment:
Aqueon 26g bow front
Aqueon 26g bow front stand
Aqueon versa top
Eheim Jager 200w heater
Fluval 306 canister filter
Finnex Fugeray 24" lighting
Eco-complete substrate and Flourish root tabs
Flourish Comprehensive
Flourish Excel

Flora:
Amazon swords
Amazon ferns
Anubias
Crypts
Banana plant
Christmas moss

Fauna:
2 Otos
6 Neon Tetras
2 Panda Cories
3 Guppies
2 Honey Gouramis

I'm going for a natural look rather than an inspired aquascape. I'd like to see if I can keep some of the above alive before I delve into high-tech. After I get all this going, I'm going to attempt my first fishless cycle! Why am I so excited about growing bacteria?!

Is there a way that I can ensure pictures display correctly in portrait or landscape?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 134
Everything is set up and ready to go once I receive the last of the equipment. I added a lock to the cabinet to keep my 3 y.o. away from chemicals and inner workings and a test fill indicates no leaks. I also painted the back a dark shade of blue to give the impression of an infinite abyss.

This large piece of driftwood was quite a challenge because it was too big for boiling. I've been pouring boiling water over it in a 5g bucket 2x/day for almost a week and it still turns the water a light tea color each time.

I've added several shims to level the tank because the tile floor actually sloped down a bit from the wall. I think the tank looks like it's made for this corner of our finished basement. I'm excited to turn this relatively unused space into a relaxing corner to read, play a bit of guitar, and of course relax and gaze at my new aquarium.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 99
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 121
Great start! Love the bowfront aquariums as well....that's an incredible piece of DW too..

That is an amazing piece of driftwood! Just as a pointer... You will need root tabs of some sort for your sword and crypts. Seachem makes good ones. Some buy root tabs and some make root tabs. If you want more info on how to make root tabs let me know and I'll tell ya! And I would up your Cory numbers to atleast 4, 5 preferably. And just be on the look out for aggression between the two gouramis, I'm Pretty sure I remember reading they sometimes fight.

It's always exciting starting a new build...I'm currently in the planning stages for a saltwater setup...I've reached my limit of planted tanks at 5 tot...

It's always exciting starting a new build...I'm currently in the planning stages for a saltwater setup...I've reached my limit of planted tanks at 5 tot...

I would LOVE to have saltwater... Just don't have the funds for that!

I don't either..but I don't plan on buying all at once just a couple pieces here&there...

I seeded the bottom with 10 Flourish tabs. I really liked the driftwood piece because it kind of looks like a mangrove.

I would increase the number of Cories, but I think my stocking plan is maxed out. Do you mean that just 2 Gouramis might become aggressive, so I would also need more than 2 of those?

just get one gourami because sometimes they can be very agressive and cories do better in groups of 6 or more so maybe try pygmy cories

Planted and cycling

My tank is now cycling and planted with the following:

Java Ferns
Anubias nana
Amazon Sword w/shoot
Cryptocoryne wendtii (bronze and somewhat eclipsed by the other sword)
Unspecified "Large Sword" - anyone? This ended up being a lot larger than I had expected!
Unspecified "Ludwigia" - anyone? I gave this a shot, but may have mistakenly chosen a high light plant

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with my (not so) LFS. They've been around for 45 years and definitely have the stock and knowledge which not surprisingly comes at quite a high price. I like to support local businesses, but really only when the cost suits me (haha - I bought the rest on Amazon). I thought I'd throw them a bone by buying my tank, stand, substrate, and some other items there and I was pleased to be able to redeem $60 of "rewards" and take home some free plants and a lot of advice.

I asked for some filter media and they gave me 2 polyester balls (filter floss?) which I placed inside my canister in the compartment from which I removed the carbon. I've read that it's better to place the dirty media in the first compartment, but I figure if the bacteria will populate regardless.

I'm happy with the initial results. I feared that the driftwood would make tea out of my tank because it colored the soaking water even after a week. I did want to get some Christmas moss (they were out) and something else to attach to the driftwood, but perhaps I can use a piece of the Anubias nana once I know how. My daughter loves the pink castle... :)

I dosed 5ml of Ammonia to start the cycle and have the following water parameters:

pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 0 ppm
NO3 = 5 ppm

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 118
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 101
Sword melting already??

After planting and starting the cycle over the weekend, this evening I noticed some changes in the larger sword. It was probably the healthiest looking of all the plants when I started. Is this what you call melt?

Also, with the API test kit I noticed that the low range pH is bright blue which indicates 7.6, but if I use the high range test it indicates 7.4. Does this mean I have a pH of 7.5?

Water parameters are the same as yesterday when I started:

Temp = 79 degrees F
pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 0 ppm
NO3 = 5.0 ppm

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 93
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 99
just get one gourami because sometimes they can be very agressive and cories do better in groups of 6 or more so maybe try pygmy cories

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to think a bit more about my stocking plan. I see the Gourami is likely not going to be compatible with guppies, either.

After planting and starting the cycle over the weekend, this evening I noticed some changes in the larger sword. It was probably the healthiest looking of all the plants when I started. Is this what you call melt?

Also, with the API test kit I noticed that the low range pH is bright blue which indicates 7.6, but if I use the high range test it indicates 7.4. Does this mean I have a pH of 7.5?

Water parameters are the same as yesterday when I started:

Temp = 89 degrees F
pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 0 ppm
NO3 = 5.0 ppm

What ferts are you using?

No ferts right now other than Flourish root tabs. I was planning on dosing Flourish Comp and Excel, but I thought I would begin that after the cycling is complete. i thought that would give the plants some time to get over any initial shock to the new tank. Should I be using ferts now? Maybe just the Flourish Comp?

No ferts right now other than Flourish root tabs. I was planning on dosing Flourish Comp and Excel, but I thought I would begin that after the cycling is complete. i thought that would give the plants some time to get over any initial shock to the new tank. Should I be using ferts now? Maybe just the Flourish Comp?

My sword went through this when I first got it as well, don't remember how long it lasted though. I would wait it out, but in the meantime I would trim off those leaves as close to the base of the plant as possible so the plant doesn't waste energy trying to repair it (that's one thing I just recently learned and wish I would've known about when I first started with plants). If you don't have co2 injection using a liquid co2 will help hour plants as well.

Cycling and Testing

I've observed changes over the last 2 days of cycling:

3/26: Excel started (10ml) and Flourish started (2.5ml)

Temp = 79
pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 0.5 ppm
NO3 = 10 ppm

3/27:

Temp = 79
pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 5.0 ppm
NO3 = 20 ppm

From the numbers, it looks like my cycle is progressing fine. However, shouldn't I have seen a drop in ammonia levels?

Today, nitrites read 5 which means the test is pegged. Should I do a PWC now or wait until nitrate reads higher? I don't want to unnecessarily lower my ammonia levels, but I also don't want to risk stalling the cycle.

Also, is it weird that the high end of low range pH test reads 7.6 and the low end of the high range test reads 7.4? Does that mean I have pH of 7.5?

Thanks!

I've observed changes over the last 2 days of cycling:

3/26: Excel started (10ml) and Flourish started (2.5ml)

Temp = 79
pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 0.5 ppm
NO3 = 10 ppm

3/27:

Temp = 79
pH = 7.5
NH3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = 5.0 ppm
NO3 = 20 ppm

From the numbers, it looks like my cycle is progressing fine. However, shouldn't I have seen a drop in ammonia levels?

Today, nitrites read 5 which means the test is pegged. Should I do a PWC now or wait until nitrate reads higher? I don't want to unnecessarily lower my ammonia levels, but I also don't want to risk stalling the cycle.

Also, is it weird that the high end of low range pH test reads 7.6 and the low end of the high range test reads 7.4? Does that mean I have pH of 7.5?

Thanks!

How long have you been cycling?

Since Sunday.

Your moving along just fine. That's the thing with fishless cycles, water changes aren't necessary most of the time. I would still give it time and wait a little while. Just be patient :)

Back
Top Bottom