A little green water - need advice on my light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffNebraska

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few months ago I put in my first heavy-duty light. I think it is 94 watts for 30 gallons. I had just moved, so I was restarting my tank from scratch.

Anyway, my plants and fish (about 24) are thriving, but I can't get my water to be crystal clear. It's a bit hazy and definitely a bit green. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Nitrates are around 5, phosphates are .25, ph is 6.8. I don't test for anything else.

I have seen all the radical suggestions for solving the problem, but they seem to be for people with more severe issues than mine. I had my light up to 12 hours a day, but have since cut it back to 9 and am considering going lower.

Is less light my most likely solution? With the nitrates and phosphates relatively low, will daily water changes help? I have one Pl*co and three Ottos, but my understanding is that they can't eat floating algae.

Also, can someone fill me in on this polyester batting in the filter possibility? I know nothing about fabric and need a description of what I want to point some clerk in a store to the right thing.

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is less light my most likely solution? With the nitrates and phosphates relatively low, will daily water changes help?

Won't likely help much. I've been through green water (gw) 3 times now, finally got it beat.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3250

If you have a magnum filter, folllow the above link and you can get rid of your gw problem in less than a day!

If you don't have a magnum or diatom filter, check with your local fish stores, some of them rent diatom filters. Using a magnum or a diatom filter will get all the single-cell floating algae out, I guarantee.

I went through all the crud, 5-day blackouts, use this chem, that chem, blech...
When I learned of this solution I was sold. I'll never worry about gw again.

Back
Top Bottom