A question of lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all,

I've been doing some shoppin around for some 24" fluorescents as to increase my WPG [currently sitting slightly above 1 (40÷34)] because my Cabombas are looking pretty miserable (was told they were low light plants by the LFS "expert"...). All I can find are 20 watt florescents. Are there none that go higher than that? If not, any suggestions as that I can do to bring my WPG up?

Thanks,

You could overdrive your bulbs, which I don't know how exactly it'll work and it won't help you much.

Or the best thing would be to get Compact Flourescent lights, they are a lot higher light for their size:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29549&category_id=1875&pcid1=1843

That would bring you to 3.1 wpg including the use of your 40W lights. Look around some more at bigals, but make sure you get one with Freshwater light, no 50/50, no actinic. Otherwise you will also have to purchase another bulb.

Ya I couldn't find anything higher than 20w in 24" configuration last night when I was at the store either. LFS recommended a PC light retrofit if I get serious with plants.

Back
Top Bottom