A Year's Worth of Blue Plate Specials (56K Warning)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
A bit of self-indulgent retrospection. I've been using a blue plate to highlight plant specimens when I take photos of them ex situ for the last year and I was going through my folders and thought I'd throw them up here. Mods please move this if it should be in the Photography section but I thought it was more appropriate to post it here. Looking at these pics makes me wonder if I shouldn't be using a blue background in my tank instead of a black one.

Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green Gecko" showing perfect colors:

C_wendtii_Green_Gecko_01.jpg

A big huge wad of Cryptocoryne wendtii "Tropica":

Tropica_070505_x800.jpg

HC - Hemianthus callitrichoides - one of the carpet plants that has always given me fits. Does not like hard water :(

Hemianthus_callitrichoides_090505_x800.jpg

Sort of an ugly pic of of large bunch of Cyperus helferi. It looks so much better in the water.

C_helferi_090505_x800.jpg

A massive bunch of Ammania sp. "Bonsai" right after harvest. Another one that looks much better in the water.

Ammania_bonsai_190605_x800.jpg

A pic of all of my pruning tools that I thought looked kind of neat:

Tools_300605_x800.JPG

A gargantuan sword that threatened to outgrow even my 125G (let this be a warning :p ):

Melon_Sword_110605_x800.jpg

An oval mirror to which I had hair-netted a field of Riccia fluitans. That stuff grows anywhere :)

Riccia_030605_x800.jpg

Well, I hope I haven't wasted too much of your bandwidth :D

A link to some recent pics of the tank. You won't see all of the plants above in there anymore but the C. helferi is now doing really well :)

Rad. Except for riccia and crypts, I had never seen any of those plants outside water before. I think Ammania sp. "Bonsai" still looks interesting outside water. :)

The latest installment:

A ton of Elatine triandra. This is only about 25% of what I just harvested (the plate is 12" in diameter):

E_triandra_120905_x800.jpg

Nice pics!
You know, I've been gravitating toward blue backgrounds in my tanks - now I know why! It really does make plants look better, and I think it shows off the fish too.

Wow!! That's quite the "lab" you have going :D I need to get to Englewood, CO to take a closer look!

Hahahah... Amazing Travis. That sword is awesome, did you have it when I was by in early June?

And that Elatine triandra is really green! Good job and I can't believe how much your plants grow. Keep it up.

Any new fish?

WarEagleNR88 said:
Hahahah... Amazing Travis. That sword is awesome, did you have it when I was by in early June?

And that Elatine triandra is really green! Good job and I can't believe how much your plants grow. Keep it up.

Any new fish?

Hey Ben, good to see you here :) I think I had already taken out the sword by early June. I've got a new one I'm working on now :wink:

No new fish except for the few dozen fry that are popping up every time I turn around. My fish breed like crazy. I've got fry of four different species swimming around in there now. Crazy :p

Back
Top Bottom