? about Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 31" Light Fixture on my 20gal Long, but the bulb doesn't appear to be 31", it seems more like ~25". So does that mean I have to look for 31" bulbs, or 24" bulbs or w/e the next size is?

Also, do they sell 31" bulbs higher then the 18W stock lighting? Or do I need a whole new fixture in order to have more W?

TIA

Probably a 24" since they seem to be in increments of 1'.

You will need to replace the fixture to get more wattage. The ballast is what's rated @ xx Watts . This becomes evident with CF fixtures, the 55/65w bulbs (depending on your ballast)

I have a ten gallon aquarium that i have been thinking about planting. My light fixture just has two screw in bulbs and i saw some flourescents at wal-mart which i was thinking about getting for a relatively cheap upgrade. Has anyone heard or had any experiences with these light bulbs? Would it help my plants grow?

mud, Get the U-shaped ones, not the spiral ones. If spiral is all thats available, go for it, but U-shaped have less restrike, and thus give off more light.
http://www.buylighting.com/23-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent-Daylight-p/cf233ud.htm
That is the ideal screw-in bulb, as it has a Color Temperature (or K) of 6500. Plants prefer between 5000-6700?? Someone correct me on that.

So would I be best off going to Home Depot or a hardware store for fixture? Do hardware stores sell CF fixtures?

Back
Top Bottom