About ready to get my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just want to make sure before I do actually buy any plants that I'm going to do this right. So here's what I have :

55 gal tank with gravel substrate. It's that river rock stuff from estes. I have smaller gravel on the top with larger on the bottom...think it's about 3" deep but I honestly haven't really measured it so it could be shallower. As soon as my AH Supply 2 x 55W refit kit gets in I'll have 2.0 WPG. Filtration is a Penguin 200 & HOT Magnum. I currently have no plans for CO2.

My main questions are :

Am I ok with no CO2 in this setup?

What fertilizer (if any) should I use?

you will just be limited to the kinds of plants that you can keep without the CO2, i have the same setup with 2 wpg and no CO2, my plants do ok with my setup but they grow kinda slow, i havent really had any need for ferts but im thinking about them too, wait for someone else on that one, good luck, plants are defenitly worth it

You even have the same filter setup? :D

With the powerfilter I've been told that CO2 won't stay diffused in the water though with the tank filled it doesn't really seem to cause that much surface disturbance. If I do any CO2 I'll probably do one of those inexpensive setups that's just some sort of reactant.

Codefox What kind of fish do you have, and how many...If your going for the Amazon tank I would consider CO2. Your lighting seems fine, if that's the case. But you will be limited on the plants you can have.

Currently have 10 red eye tetras and planning to get 6 cories, 4 rams, & 4 angels. I'll have most of the fish in by the end of the week if I can find them except for the angels. Will a simple CO2 system fit my needs if the CO2 is, in fact, neccessary (and by neccessary I mean that it would be noticibly beneficial)

IMO, you wouldn't see a noticeable difference. I have never used a CO2 system and never had any problems...but today it seems to be the mainstream.

The CO2 will be very noticeable. Along with keeping algae at bay Co2 (carbon) is the building block of all life. While it isn't always necessary (at equillibrium the tank will have 3-5ppm), it is the biggest boost to plant growth short of lighting.

emorrison33 said:
And also the biggest detriment to fish life.

How so? CO2 does not displace O2, and O2 saturates at aquarium water temperature at about 4ppm. CO2 saturation is well over 100ppm, so our measly 30-35ppm we strive for is nothing.

Fish don't gasp when CO2 gets high...they gasp when O2 is low.

Fish consume Oxygen and produce Carbon dioxide. Large Multicellular organisms must have a Respiratory System to ensure the effective exchange of gasses with the Atmosphere quickly and efficiently to survive. High co2 and high oxygen aren't mutually exclusive,
> correct?

Their concentrations aren't directly related to each other in any way.

Circulation or aeration will usually keep the oxygen level in an
unplanted tank from falling too low for it's usual occupants. It won't
rise much over 8 mg/l, because water reaches equilibrium with
atmospheric oxygen somewhere near 8, depending on temperature, altitude
and the composition of your home's interior air.

Well said Malkore. IMO, a 55 gallon with 2x 55 watt PC over it should have some CO2 or other Carbon supplement. If your not ready for CO2 (for any reason). You might try using Flourish Excel. You can use the Excel to "see" if CO2 would help you. Once things are set up and you are ready to try a Carbon supplement. You can add 1 tsp per day at lights on of Excel to your tank. You will see the improvement. This is not a long term solution, as on a 55 gallon the Excel will get expensive over the long run, as compared to DIY CO2. But, it will show you what CO2 could do for you. As for ferts, since you are in that medium light range you can try using regular Flourish as a basic fert. Add 1 to 2 tsp at water change, and another 1-2 tsp mid week.

This is all really great advice, thanks everyoen. I think from what I'm reading that I should at least consider CO2. Part of the reason I don't want a pressurized system is because I really just don't want all the tank and equipment. Are any of the non pressurized ones good for what I'm doing?

Back
Top Bottom