? about snails in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mematrix

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi not sure if this qualifies as a planted tank ? or not but hear goes my problem is that my tank has become overrun by snails believe they are the little pond kind I am currently tering down my tank and doing a thurogh cleaning to get rid of them in the gravel and tank my ? is how do I kill or get rid of them that is the eggs laid on the plants themselves without killing the plants don't wish to reintroduce them back into my tank Sincerely Curtis

You can hand remove the little slimy coats on your plants that are snail eggs and give them a quick dip in a bleach solution.

Or you could go the biological route & just get a snail eater like a clown loach or maybe something smaller for your tank.

I would recommend the later as bleach dips are pretty hard on plants. However if you absolutely can not stand to have snails then you will need to do a thorough inspection of each plant & scrape off all snail eggs & then dip. Dipping just the leaves if they are rooted plants may be easier on them.

As for the compatibility of clown loaches you will have to ask around becuase I am not sure.

One method I've used to control the snail population is to place a peice of broccoli stem on the lid of a plastic container. I leave this in the tank overnight and in the morning it's loaded with snails. Simply remove the lid (snails and all), in the morning. This may have to be repeated for several days, but it is effective.

Back
Top Bottom