about to pull my hair out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustinfeint

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's like no matter what i do, i just can't get my plants to be healthy. I am going to upload some pictures for you. I am so tired of this being a stress factor in my life. It's ridiculous. Amazon swords and jungle vals shouldn't be "barely surviving" like this. It is literally like my plants are retarded. I have tried everything from root tabs to api leaf zone and co2 booster. Tetra ferts. Replaced lights. I am at wits end. Now i have brown algae on my carpet plants. Wtf is going on in my tank?!?!!!!! I have shoplights that i upgraded to. I am getting 2x32 watt On my 55. This is more than 1wpg. 64w total. I just don't understand!!! They sell GE PLANT AND AQUARIUM bulbs that are 40 watts each, but they are 10$ a piece and Im not gonna throw $20 on a mere 16w more if it's not gonna do anything. Please help!!!!!

ForumRunner_20130627_174718.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130627_174641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130627_174641.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20130627_174705.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130627_174705.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20130627_174737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130627_174737.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 115
I think you need to assemble a comprehensive fertilizer regimen like PPS-Pro or EI (estimating index). The lights see to be ok, and your plants seem to have several deficiencies. Any co2?? I suggest picking up other the EI Fert pack or the PPS Pro Fert pack from Green Leaf Aquariums.

You need more light and some fertilizer also.I have 2 54 ho bulbs on my 55 for 108 watts and change bulbs once a year.I have the same plants as you plus wisteria and java fern.I also prefer the cheap tetra fertilizer too.I have to harvest my plants atleast every 6 weeks or they be at the top of the water and my fish have no where to swim.Oh wait My tank hase the most hated things on this forum,UNDER GRAVEL FILTERS.I think they help planted tanks alot in that they draw nutrients to the roots of the plants.

I don't think lighting is the problem at all. That also depends on what kind of lighting were talking about. If its T5HO then that's enough light for those plants.

It is a combination of light, the bulbs you have could be the wrong color spectrum which is very important. There is a reason you look for bulbs that are designed for plant growth. Also as already mentioned you have some serious nutrient deficiencies going on. If your using the proper amount of liquid carbon (CO2 Booster/Excel/Glut) and using enough ferts with root tabs on swords, crypts, and bulb plants then your plants with the proper light will thrive.

How often and how much CO2 booster do you use? Also what ferts and how often?

Just starting doing ferts and co2 booster again yesterday. I stopped for a couple weeks. I have GE 6500K daylight bulbs. Gonna try the Tetra ferts once a week, (recommended dose) and half a capful of the api liquid carbon every day.

Just starting doing ferts and co2 booster again yesterday. I stopped for a couple weeks. I have GE 6500K daylight bulbs. Gonna try the Tetra ferts once a week, (recommended dose) and half a capful of the api liquid carbon every day.

The bulbs are okay but you need more with a deeper tank. Also up your dosing of liquid carbon to 1ml per 5 gallons of water. This can also help. Add fresh root tabs and dose your ferts at least 2x a week. Honestly dry ferts are much cheaper and if you use liquid carbon get a gallon bottle of Metricide 14 day solution on line for around $20. Mix it with a gallon of RO or distilled water to make 2 gallons for around $27 with shipping. Very cheap. Also the amount of liquid carbon needed in a tank depends on a lot of factors, heavy bio-load, high light, a lot of stem plants are some of the reasons more is often needed. I ran a very high light tank with dry ferts dosed daily and a very high amount of liquid carbon daily for over a year before adding CO2 so trust me when I say it is safe to use a higher dosage.

I would try what Rivercats is suggesting........she is the advice guru when it comes to planted tanks. She has helped me every step of the way with my planted tank, and I couldnt ask for better results!

Your lights are fine. I run 2 T8 6500k over my 55 and have an amazon sword and other plants growing fine with water sprite floating covering the ENTIRE surface. Not running any co2. I'd suggest a better fertilizer. I use seachem flourish twice a week. I was even getting growth with one bulb over the same plants , growth was just slightly slower.

The bulbs are okay but you need more with a deeper tank. Also up your dosing of liquid carbon to 1ml per 5 gallons of water. This can also help. Add fresh root tabs and dose your ferts at least 2x a week. Honestly dry ferts are much cheaper and if you use liquid carbon get a gallon bottle of Metricide 14 day solution on line for around $20. Mix it with a gallon of RO or distilled water to make 2 gallons for around $27 with shipping. Very cheap. Also the amount of liquid carbon needed in a tank depends on a lot of factors, heavy bio-load, high light, a lot of stem plants are some of the reasons more is often needed. I ran a very high light tank with dry ferts dosed daily and a very high amount of liquid carbon daily for over a year before adding CO2 so trust me when I say it is safe to use a higher dosage.

And what's your explanation for the frogbit? It's sometimes considered a pest and is illegal in Indiana. But i wanted it to cover the top so it would look like sunken amazon. I can't even keep it alive. Pest? Pshhh....

There's two different opinions flying around on this thread. Someone saying more light. Someone saying its fine.

And what's your explanation for the frogbit? It's sometimes considered a pest and is illegal in Indiana. But i wanted it to cover the top so it would look like sunken amazon. I can't even keep it alive. Pest? Pshhh....

You may have too much surface disturbance for the frogbit. What kind of filter do you have. Probably wont work if you have a HOB.

Getting back to the light I'll guarantee you that they are fine. You don't need any T5 HO to make swords grow. You seem to have a fertilizer issue IMO. Swords are heavy root feeders, and also need a good liquid fertilizer. Switch to seachem flourish TWICE a week if you continue to use that current lighting setup and seachem root tab under that sword and see if it makes a difference. I keep my lights on 7hrs a day

You may have too much surface disturbance for the frogbit. What kind of filter do you have. Probably wont work if you have a HOB.

Getting back to the light I'll guarantee you that they are fine. You don't need any T5 HO to make swords grow. You seem to have a fertilizer issue IMO. Swords are heavy root feeders, and also need a good liquid fertilizer. Switch to seachem flourish TWICE a week if you continue to use that current lighting setup and seachem root tab under that sword and see if it makes a difference. I keep my lights on 7hrs a day

I have two aqua tech 30-60G HOB filters on it.

I have two aqua tech 30-60G HOB filters on it.

That's probably why the frogbit is not working out. More than likely its getting pushed around too much, it needs pretty still water, that's why some people hate HOB. I use one but have to baffle it to slow the current. I had frogbit and it still blew around with the filter baffled. I also heard it does better with open lid tanks. Not sure how yours is set up. If you want a easy floating plant check out aquabid and get the Oak fern water sprite. It is a beautiful floating plant and it grows fast.

There's two different opinions flying around on this thread. Someone saying more light. Someone saying its fine.

You are always going to have various opinions on any forum. And remember that all tanks are different and what works in one may not work in another.

I've had two tanks set up exactly the same in the same room, using the same lights, ferts, and liquid carbon and each tank had different growth rates and even different parameters when tested. I have 2 55g planted tanks and both have a 2 bulb AquaticLife T5HO fixtures. Due to the depth of the tank I have at the very best medium light.

Now many plants, swords included in this group will grow fine in less light but they will not grow nearly as fast. Also when using a floating plant that covers the entire surface you cut the amount of light reaching the plants below drastically. So all this being said is you have to make a decision on how you want to try to run your tank. Maybe T8's will do fine and maybe not, they are a good cheap option.

BUT your biggest issue is ferts. The pic's of the plants you posted show several nutrient deficiencies so it is obvious your not using enough ferts in the tank but the fert you using may not have everything plants need. Plants need both macro nutrients (nitrates, phosphates, potassium, calcium, magnesium) and a bunch of different micro nutrients.

Most all liquid ferts contain mostly micro nutrients and very little if any macro nutrients. I often tell people who want to use liquid ferts to use a combination of both Seachem Flourish Comprehensive along with API Leaf Zone which provides only potassium and iron. Since most tanks produce both nitrates and phosphates via fish waste and fish food, the above combination provides a good mix of the other nutrients needed. Also when using liquid carbon which aids in photosynthesis and plant growth your plants grow faster which also means they need more nutrients.

You are always going to have various opinions on any forum. And remember that all tanks are different and what works in one may not work in another.

I've had two tanks set up exactly the same in the same room, using the same lights, ferts, and liquid carbon and each tank had different growth rates and even different parameters when tested. I have 2 55g planted tanks and both have a 2 bulb AquaticLife T5HO fixtures. Due to the depth of the tank I have at the very best medium light.

Now many plants, swords included in this group will grow fine in less light but they will not grow nearly as fast. Also when using a floating plant that covers the entire surface you cut the amount of light reaching the plants below drastically. So all this being said is you have to make a decision on how you want to try to run your tank. Maybe T8's will do fine and maybe not, they are a good cheap option.

BUT your biggest issue is ferts. The pic's of the plants you posted show several nutrient deficiencies so it is obvious your not using enough ferts in the tank but the fert you using may not have everything plants need. Plants need both macro nutrients (nitrates, phosphates, potassium, calcium, magnesium) and a bunch of different micro nutrients.

Most all liquid ferts contain mostly micro nutrients and very little if any macro nutrients. I often tell people who want to use liquid ferts to use a combination of both Seachem Flourish Comprehensive along with API Leaf Zone which provides only potassium and iron. Since most tanks produce both nitrates and phosphates via fish waste and fish food, the above combination provides a good mix of the other nutrients needed. Also when using liquid carbon which aids in photosynthesis and plant growth your plants grow faster which also means they need more nutrients.

What is the difference between comprehensive and excel?

What is the difference between comprehensive and excel?

Comprehensive are the micro ferts. I use it 2x per (2 caps after pwc 1 capful later)week.

Excel is the liquid CO2. I use 1 capful daily in my tank.

I also use Seachem root tabs for my swords and crypts.

My tank grows pretty well and I have absolutely crappy lighting lol

Back
Top Bottom