? about Walmart bought plant bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought these lily bulbs from Walmart a month ago and they didn't take root and grow. It was this little three pack for like $3. I just wanted to try them out. Anyone have any experience with these or the returning them?

You won't be able to return them...its been a month. Most likely they failed to grow because you don't have the right lighting conditions in your tank - which is terribly overstocked by the way.

Jack, they aren't the same bulbs. Wal-mart sells a few types of apongeton bulbs. You're thinking of the blister packs, usually found at PetCo, which are put out by www.aquariumplants.com (based out of South Dakota), and yes they do offer a guarantee. Wal-Mart, however, does not.

alrighty then. my walmart on sells the ones from souix falls-- they have a few different kinds. they did have some they were not apongeton, so i figure these were them.

The ones sold at Walmart have a guarantee, but you have to keep the receipt (I think) and send it back by day 20 if they don't grow. The same company sells both Apongeton and Lily bulbs. Mine didn't start growing till after almost 2 months, so don't fret if you're already past 20 days. Just keep them in there and wait it out. You've got nothing to lose since you can't return them at this point.

I'm assuming that the required gasoline, wear and tear on your shoes and vehicle, not to mention your time involved in returning the light bulbs would be worth more than the $3 you stand to gain.

I have been growing the bulbs from both stores. It seems that about of them sprout. I was told that Petco had an exclusive on them. When I tried to send some back to South Dakota, they came back as not deliverable . I then found the ones at Walmart. They have a different company name and address. I have not tried to send any back yet. I winder if the first company did not move across town. What are the odds that there are 2 bulb companies in a place like Sioux Falls. I have some to send back that came from Walmart. If I am successful, I will post.

Which is the address that was undeliverable? The one I have is
1400 S. Van Eps
Sioux Falls SD 57105

I have two that have not sprouted yet.

I don't think the guarantee means you cannot return them after 20 days. It means if they have failed to sprout in 20 days, then return them.

Yep, there are two totally different company in, or in our case, near Sioux Falls. We are actually located in Tea, just south of the city. If you buy bulbs from Petco then you are getting the ones we produce. If you buy at Walmart you're buying from a totally different company. The only tangible connection between the two is that we sell the other company Nymphaea bulbs and they sell us assorted Aponogetons bulbs. Crazy world huh?

They were the lily bulbs. They had a guarantee on the back that said if they didn't grow in 20 days to send them to the address on the back. And I do have the receipt which I kept to be able to send them back if they didn't grow.

Yes, but you said you bought them a month ago...that's longer than 20 days. Ergo you are up that well known creek, without a paddle.

I've have good luck with the ones from petco/aquariumplants.com - I get them at petco as an impulse buy...its an adventure to see what plants you end up with. This last bunch was primarily Aponogeton Undulatas (as near as I can tell), and the first batch I had contained 2 tiger lotus's. Generally the larger, walnut sized/shaped bulbs are tiger lotus, so if you find their blister packs, sort through them til you find with with fewer bulbs that are walnut shaped.

Sometimes you will get Madagascar lace, biovaneous, crispus hybrids, and a few others. It's all in the luck of the draw.

I recently bought two packs of bulbs from Walmart. One was the lotus and one the aponogetons. Some of the aponogetons are floating though. Should I pitch them?

(sorry to butt in)

Just sink 'em into the substrate. If that doesn't work, wait for them to get water-logged. :mrgreen:

LOL Ok. I just let them float. They've been floating for about a week now. I'll wedge them in the gravel. Thanks. :D

With bulbs, let them float until roots begin to sprout. Then you know which way to plant them. Although, I have had stems come out next to the roots. :?

The undeliverable address was Aquarium Plant Life
308 west Lotta
Sioux Falls, 57105
These are the ones from Petco.

opiesilver What is the correct address to send them back?

The correct address is;

AQUARIUM PLANT LIFE
46983 Mindy Street
Tea, SD 57064

We've outgrown several buildings in the past two years and have now bought a 20,000 sq ft warehouse.

Back
Top Bottom