AC50 Guts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
The other day I heard that carbon in a planted tank can absorb some important nutrients for the plants. I have an aquaclear 50 running biomax and the sponge. I just took the carbon out. What else should I add? Should I add another sponge or biomax? I would prefer to add something else, but not sure what else I could add. Any help is surely appreciated! Thanks!!

I've yet to see any proof that carbon removes nutrients. I put that in the same category as 'carbon leeches back what it absorbs'.

Carbon is completely a waste of money if you're not using it for a specific purpose, though.

mfdrookie516 said:
I've yet to see any proof that carbon removes nutrients. I put that in the same category as 'carbon leeches back what it absorbs'.

Carbon is completely a waste of money if you're not using it for a specific purpose, though.

Oh really? Ok, yeah I've heard that it is just a waste, but somehow I feel betterl knowing that its just there. what should I replace the carbon with? Any ideas?:)

I run two bags of biomax and a sponge in my AC70 cause my lfs told me carbon can actually absorb ferts that I put in my planted tank. to help polish the water though I just went to walmart and bought a bag of polyfil and stuff it on top of the media and it catches finer particles

blizowman1 said:
I run two bags of biomax and a sponge in my AC70 cause my lfs told me carbon can actually absorb ferts that I put in my planted tank. to help polish the water though I just went to walmart and bought a bag of polyfil and stuff it on top of the media and it catches finer particles

Does it work well? Also, what is polyfil? Sorry for the dumb question. Where do you put it? In the middle where the carbon was? Thanks!

polyfil is used as stuffing for pillows you can buy it at walmart for cheap or get the same thing thats sold at pet stores for more $$

yea it works fine without carbon I've git tannin issues right now but the carbon didn't help that at all I think the only thing that helps is water changes. I use the regular pillow stuffing from walmart its a big bag fir like 3 bucks if you buy it from a petstore its like 7 for the exact same thing except its got a pic of a fish on the packaging lol. they also have the quilt batting that's the same stuff except it comes in sheets so there is less of a chance of getting stray strings floating in your tank. which could probably be avoided by putting the polyfil in between where the carbon is supposed to go but I just put from top to bottom
*polyfil
*biomax
*biomax
*sponge

another way I have done the polyfil to keep it from having a string float around the tank is get one of the empty media bags from a petstore and stuff that with the polyfil and the stick that in your filter.
I usually change the polyfil once every week or two

Alkane said:
polyfil is used as stuffing for pillows you can buy it at walmart for cheap or get the same thing thats sold at pet stores for more $$

Great!! Does it really improve the water clarity though?

blizowman1 said:
yea it works fine without carbon I've git tannin issues right now but the carbon didn't help that at all I think the only thing that helps is water changes. I use the regular pillow stuffing from walmart its a big bag fir like 3 bucks if you buy it from a petstore its like 7 for the exact same thing except its got a pic of a fish on the packaging lol. they also have the quilt batting that's the same stuff except it comes in sheets so there is less of a chance of getting stray strings floating in your tank. which could probably be avoided by putting the polyfil in between where the carbon is supposed to go but I just put from top to bottom
*polyfil
*biomax
*biomax
*sponge

another way I have done the polyfil to keep it from having a string float around the tank is get one of the empty media bags from a petstore and stuff that with the polyfil and the stick that in your filter.
I usually change the polyfil once every week or two

Awesome! When using polyfil, is there a noticable difference in water clarity? That's a good idea, I think ill do that! (Use the empty filter bag) thanks!!

I think it helps for really fine stuff in the water i think it helps with tannins a little cause it's always Brown when I pull it out

blizowman1 said:
I think it helps for really fine stuff in the water i think it helps with tannins a little cause it's always Brown when I pull it out

Wow, ok I'll try it out:) is there any special kind that I should get or avoid?

Avoid chemical additives and fire retardants. I just got the polyester pillow filling

i just bought an ac 50, its getting shipped to me atm. i was told that the carbon will take away the algae odor from an aquarium, is this true?

Ive also been told that it helps with odors. But the reality is if you keep a clean tank and stay on top of your water changes you shouldn't have odors from your tank. And if you have algae something is usually off with either your water chemistry or your lights

i do a daily wc, i think its 10 percent, and i just stirred up my sand so gasses dont get trapt, so it may be from that. have you ever heard of that? i stirred it up about 3 days ago

gman42 said:
i do a daily wc, i think its 10 percent, and i just stirred up my sand so gasses dont get trapt, so it may be from that. have you ever heard of that? i stirred it up about 3 days ago

Yeah, if sand is left untouched for a while, it could build up toxic gasses that could crash your tank, or at least that what I heard but MTS will work pretty well to aerate the substrate

well thats not fun. my fish dig in the sand, and push it around. i recently changed 1 of my filters pads because it was restricting flow, and was super old. i have stirred it up before, its not like my tank smells horrible. just like an algae smell. the waters crystal clear, and my fish are acting normal. you cant smell it unless your nose is allmost in the water, and this was the first time ive ever smelled it so im not sure if it has always smelled like this or what. i dont think it will be a prob my new filter should be here soon, and it should help, it has a huge carbon pad.

well thats not fun. my fish dig in the sand, and push it around. i recently changed 1 of my filters pads because it was restricting flow, and was super old. i have stirred it up before, its not like my tank smells horrible. just like an algae smell. the waters crystal clear, and my fish are acting normal. you cant smell it unless your nose is allmost in the water, and this was the first time ive ever smelled it so im not sure if it has always smelled like this or what. i dont think it will be a prob my new filter should be here soon, and it should help, it has a huge carbon pad.
if u recently changed an old filter that could have caused a small cycle which you could probably smell.

Also you could be smelling the old filter and not the water. If you have to put your nose up to it to smell it then it probably isn't an issue.

AC50 is a nice choice for a HOB. Be sure to run both filters for a while to get the new one seeded with BB.

If you fish dig in the sand and it's not deep then there is really no need to stir it.

okay thanks, how long does it take for the filter to get seeded. i put the new pad in the filter on friday. i think im going to run all 3 filters for a week, or just wait for the pad to become seeded then add it. my tank is only a 40g and having all 3 filters running may be hard lol.

Back
Top Bottom