Acclimating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Fingers crossed i'm getting my plants today or tomorrow.

Anything special I need to do with putting them in my tank like with fish?

Should the rhizome be fairly easy to spot? I know it's horizontal.
*Think* anubias is the only plant I need to find it on, will check out the info on everything else I ordered.

depends on the plant. some plants are as easy as 'poke it into the substrate' others require pruning and planting with tweezers (like glosso).

both java ferns and anubias have a green, twig like rhizome that shouldn't be covered. you may have to float your anubias a few weeks until it develops roots you can plant/anchor with. sometimes they come with, sometimes without roots.

So I can put them right into the tank? No floating, adding water over time, etc?

And anything I plan on planting in my substrate I need to make sure has roots right? Float them until they develope some if they don't already?

My moss I know to tie to my rock, the onion plants are only supposed to be partly planted, & the rest is going in my substrate.

nikipike said:
So I can put them right into the tank? No floating, adding water over time, etc?
Correct, plant immediatly.

nikipike said:
And anything I plan on planting in my substrate I need to make sure has roots right? Float them until they develope some if they don't already?
Nope, you can plant stems without roots. they'll grow. java ferns don't 'plant' so much as they 'anchor' themselves with little hairy brown 'roots'. but they just anchor, they don't soak up nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom