Actinic Lighting in Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a dual T5HO light for my 29G. It came with a 6500K actinic bulb and a 10000K daylight bulb. My question is do I need to swap out the actinic for another daylight bulb in order to grow high light carpet plants? My LFS said they would swap it out for free, but I do like how the blue light looks. So if I can get away with keeping it I would prefer that.

Actinic lights are more for either SW tanks or night lights. The plants will not grow under them. I suggest switching them out for a daylight bulb around 6500K. I'm not an expert on actinics but I think they are referred to ,lighting wise, by something else, not K.

I ran an experiment with a bugzapper over a 5 gallon bucket with a few swords and a guppy. HOB filter. While not actinic, it seems somewhat close spectrally. My swords kept growing and I tried and failed at starting algae. I think it was cyanobacteria I had in my donor tank though. Nevertheless, I am certainly interested in checking this theory out: Actinic may grow plants without growing algae or cyanobacteria so bad.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's a mimicked sun spectrum than of course it will grow plants.. I think it boils down to useable light at varying levels.... And what certain living things found at these levels actually need to flourish...

Back
Top Bottom