ADA Amazonia, couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ta2ya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought the large bag. I can open it, and save the rest later down the road for a different tank? Asking cuz I see a lot of moisture in the bag.

Next question is..., I heard Amazonia will spike the ammonia. More water changes throughout the day, week will decrease the amount of ammonia faster? So do as many water changes as possible?

Next question is..., I heard the water can get cloudy. Do frequent large water changes? Or slow and steady to not disrupt the substrate.

Another question. Will it be fine growing HC with the alone substrate. Or should I get something fine and mix em (ie fluorite).

Thanks. This is possibly for my 20g H. I have oddysea t5ho (7 hrs), aquatek regulator, 24 oz co2 tank, pps pro.

Thanks. I appreciate you guys' time.

Yeah its okay to open it and just close up the bag of what ever you don't use for a later time. The ammonia will eventually subside. And its nutrient packed to grow HC without mixing it with any other substrate additives. You should PM BillBug68 or DantheGuppyMan as they both have recent experience with using that substrate. It's definitely a good choice and your plants will love it.

I bought the large bag. I can open it, and save the rest later down the road for a different tank? Asking cuz I see a lot of moisture in the bag.

Next question is..., I heard Amazonia will spike the ammonia. More water changes throughout the day, week will decrease the amount of ammonia faster? So do as many water changes as possible?

Next question is..., I heard the water can get cloudy. Do frequent large water changes? Or slow and steady to not disrupt the substrate.

Another question. Will it be fine growing HC with the alone substrate. Or should I get something fine and mix em (ie fluorite).

Thanks. This is possibly for my 20g H. I have oddysea t5ho (7 hrs), aquatek regulator, 24 oz co2 tank, pps pro.

Thanks. I appreciate you guys' time.

You definitely can save the rest for later if you don't use it all. Pretty much what I did. I don't recall seeing a lot of moisture in mine, as the bags have small holes in it, I think to probably avoid this.

Yes it does leach ammonia, which gives a good kick start to your cycle. You can use seeded filter media to help, if you have another tank.

It definitely can cloud the heck out of a tank if you're not careful, which is why hardscape and planting is usually done before filling. You can use a spray bottle to mist the substrate until it's saturated, then add a bunch of newspaper or plastic over the sub and SLOWLY fill up the tank. Water changes will help, along with good filtration/media setup.

Yes, it grows HC great with high light, co2, and ferts, which you already have so you should be good. I wouldn't add anything to the substrate, because it can be reused if you break the tank down and want to have another go. I believe there is a method for drying it out properly, but I have yet to research that. Even though ada states it should be replaced, but I'm sure that is just them trying to sell more and more... ;)

Alright. Sounds good. Thanks for your input. This 20G high is an established tank, BB wise. Will the ammonia spike kill the BB as well?

Sneak peak pic. It's current inhabitants are a botia loach and a golden snail, which I will re-home when I get this started.

image-760585640.jpg

Attachments

• image-737945107.jpg
    image-737945107.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 127
Thinking about trimming the manzanita wood a little shorter length wise, be able to fit more plants and rocks.

Little late here, just thought I would give my input :) Yes, I have the amazonia in my shrimp tank and I had a little high ammonia for a week about, but then it went back to zero as I had my filter pre-cycled. I filled the tank very slowly, like drip acclimator slowly, lol and it has never clouded. I have never had any clouding with it :) No additives needed as Brian and Bill said, it is packed full of nutrients. I am currently growing a beautiful carpet of HC with mine and it grows it wonderfully, but as they said you will need high light and pressurized CO2. Nice tank, by the way!

Alright thanks. I'm excited to get this started. I might start tomorrow, my day off. I work over 50 hours a week so I don't have much time.

I'll keep an eye on the ammonia and do slow water changes with the aqueon water changer.

Unless you have the patience of a monk, you will end up with a very opaque water. I used a sponge on the intake of my filter, within 24hrs turn the filter off, removed the sponge, cleaned with tank water and within 72 hours (repeating the cycle every 24hrs) I had crystal clear water.

you can see my tanks (all using Amazonia) on my triptych link on my signature.

Your plants will enjoy the soil. Good stuff.

Cool. What if I rinse it in a small bucket little by little...!?!? I'd probably have too much of the nutrients wasted..?

Regardless, my loach and snail shall be re-homed..

ok yea so my next two questions...

what if i rinse/place it in a different bucket. would it help the ammonia leaking and cloudniess go away faster?

and

how would i introduce the new ada soil into my established tank? i'm planning to take out the blue gravel completely and fill it with ada soil. just completely restart? any way i can do it still with the loach and snail? i know i should just start all together without the fish, but heavily planted, but i dont think i can do that at the moment.

Rinse will help, but it will also take away some of the extra capsulared nutrients. I opted to not wash.

A established filter will have a better "army" of bacteria to face the ammonia, but unless you plan on daily monitoring and constant water changes, I would consider a temporary home for all non-veggies

A good idea is a 5g bucket with an established filter running in it my biowheel 150 fits perfectly on the back of a 5 g bucket.

I wouldn't rinse it. Wait until you can re home your stock. Then just place you filter in a bucket with some tank water and the heater.... Completely drain the tank, pull all the gravel out, clean as needed, add the aqua soil, and slowly refill. Replace filter, heater, test as needed. Just be careful when planting after its filled and you shouldn't have any clouding issues.

alright, t(h)anks guys. all good ideas..

i dunno what plants ill put in here.. or fish..

a lot of them will come from my other tanks, 5g and 55g. in those tanks i already have hc, moss (still in bag with holes through them), bunch of anubias, two stocks java fern, three stocks amazon swords, and ludwigia repens. i just got the ludwigia and idk how its gonna go. its in my 55g with low light, diy co2 (2 bottles), pps pro dosing every other day. root tabs as well, initially for the swords. the java fern is doing well, sprouting new shoots often. swords are struggling, not getting as big, but keep producing new young shoots as well.

corys 2, albino 1, false julii 2. harlequin rasboras 14, rummy nose tetra 5, kuhli loach 1, bunch of shrimp, 6 cherry barbs.

5g has shrimp and galaxy rasbora 3.

im in hawaii, things are very limited here and it sucks.

My 55g, 5g, and 20g trying out theled moon lights. It's really blue.

Attachments

• image-2800733434.jpg
    image-2800733434.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4244640793.jpg
    image-4244640793.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image-220538693.jpg
    image-220538693.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 52
I added ADA Ammazonia to my ten gallon and I am still 6 months later fighting the algae problems that it caused. My tanks ammonia got so high, it killed all of my RCS and snails. It also killed most of my plants.... :/ . I am saying this to let you know to do the daily water changes like they say to do etc

Back
Top Bottom