ADA AquaSoil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to start a thread on Aquasoil compared to Eco Complete, flourite, gravel etc. other than the known initial effects can people share their experience when switching to this substrate? Feel free to add before/after pics. It'd also be interesting to know how it impacts a low tech tank compared to high tech tanks. I intend this thread to be a point of reference for any contemplating AS for their tank. Any input/reviews are welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

...paging Dr. Nano...paging Dr. Nano
Interesting thread. Following.

Fluval Stratum vs ADA Aqua Soil

My experience with plant substrates is limited, but I have used both Fluval Stratum and ADA Aqua Soil (normal type). I found AS to be a much better product.

I first used it in my 50g planted tank, after having used FS. After a few short months the FS was breaking down and becoming that dreaded "sludge" that these kinds of substrate tend to turn into. So I added a 3L bag of AS to the FS and found that after about the same amount of time, the AS was not breaking down like the FS. Not only was AS longer lasting, but the plants responded quite incredibly, growing much better than before with just FS.

The second time I used AS was in my 2g planted tank. I experienced the same as before, long lasting and exceptionally fertile substrate. My plants grew quicker in just a AS substrate system, rather than my previous mixture of FS and AS. This confirmed my conclusion that AS was/is a better substrate.

Moving forward, I plan on using AS as my "go-to" substrate. Although I have an unopened bag of Red Sea Flora Base. I do not know how it compares to AS, but from what I have read it is one of the few substrates that come close to AS in terms of quality and performance, unfortunately to my understanding, Red Sea has discontinued this product.

Great insight slavo, in the two different tanks you used AS were they both high light CO2 environments?

Fresh, we've all talked about it at some point on our builds. This thread hopefully gives us a centralized discussion instead of digging for it in everyones respective thread.

Great insight slavo, in the two different tanks you used AS were they both high light CO2 environments?

Fresh, we've all talked about it at some point on our builds. This thread hopefully gives us a centralized discussion instead of digging for it in everyones respective thread.

The 50g was medium/high light, I was using a Finnex Ray 2, but no Co2.

The 2g was low/medium light, no Co2 as well.

Did you think the aqua soil was more beneficial in the tank with higher light?

Did you think the aqua soil was more beneficial in the tank with higher light?

It's hard to say. I think it did really well in both tanks. My only regret was only adding 3L of it in the 50g. I should have added more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

I'm using the fluval strat as its the only substrate I can get my hands on without ordering online. $15 2kg bag ended up with 6kg of it.

As previously mentioned It is not the best going around, I've never had a problem with it breaking down and as a first planted tank I'm quite happy with the success I've managed to get out of it in a medium-low setup. My main issue is that I struggle to get bits and pieces of poop and algae out of it when doing a vac. The nutrients it provides I found did run out in about 4-5 months when I was originally told 8 months at the store but oh well. I just use my root tabs now.

Question...should I look at changing the substrate after a year or so? The tank has been running almost a year now. If so I'll look into ordering something from ADA or Eco complete. Budget of a 17 yr old is limited...

Mattfinn, i cant speak to the satrum line but if you are doing a low/med light tank you should be good with roottabs.

My thought is that eco complete and other inert substrates will be fine in most low/med light setups. An AS or potting soil is more beneficial to high light environments (80+ PAR).

Mattfinn, i cant speak to the satrum line but if you are doing a low/med light tank you should be good with roottabs.

My thought is that eco complete and other inert substrates will be fine in most low/med light setups. An AS or potting soil is more beneficial to high light environments (80+ PAR).

Yeah I know I'd be fine with just root tabs, it's because I try to see what I can grow that's in the more medium and slightly difficult range. I started out with simpler but not basic plants and am experimenting with baby tears which grows well and am looking at some rotala and ludwigia species as well.

Following this thread in case I get the chance to one day set up high tech system.

When I tried FS, I never experienced the breakdown to sludge you mention. However, I do know that FS improved their product and didn't really advertise that. So it's possible you got an older batch. I think I had fairly good results with it in high light. But I was consistent with co2 and pps-pro dosing. I will admit, however, my HC carpet was only 'okay' and never grew ridiculously lush with it.

When I eventually got my first bag of aqua soil I went with the amazonia variety as I've read that it's the most nutrient packed of the lot. It's actually quite obvious because I don't know of any substrate that leaches that much ammonia when first introduced to water. It just goes to show how infused that substrate is with nutrients. You can smell it off the new opened bag AS too. FS may look like AS, and claim to buffer pH as well, but that's where the similarities end because there's that x-factor of insane nutrients baked in. But to play devils advocate, FS as with EC have that wonderful CEC property we all read about.

Now, going back to AS results versus the competition. IME, AS wins hands down compared to what I've tried so far. All my plants grew nuts.. HC, UG ... you name it. I haven't tried them all, however. I still have a bag of Brightwell's new substrate and two new small bags of Azoo's plant grower bed I'll eventually try.

I'd like to add that through my humble beginnings in the world of shrimp keeping (of both the Neo and Caridina varieties), aqua soil is the number one choice in low tech planted tanks due to its amazing pH buffering capbilities. Just got to get over the honeymoon phase of a copious amount of water changes due to the ammonia at first.

Here's an interesting comparison:
http://www.redcherryshrimp.net/wp-c...zonia-Aquasoil-comparison-redcherryshrimp.jpg

Last edited:
Does AS impact how much ferts you add to the water column? I would assume in higher light tanks the leaves in plants can only uptake so many nutrients until a non inert substrate could help achieve healthier, fuller growth.

Has anyone seen a tank with deficiencies that used AS?

Just to clarify I am not saying if you use AS your plants will grow perfectly with no issues ever.

I didn't start dosing ferts until the ammonia stopped leaching. And nope, never read of deficiencies with AS in the tank.

I have always had the best growth with Aquasoil as well, although I haven't tried many of the other soil-type substrates.

Regarding the substrate debate, it is interesting not many people mention ActivFlora, although it is likely because it is not commonly available like EcoComplete is.

Here is a fun thread worth reading: Substrate Holy Grail?!?!

That was a really interesting thread, I read that one awhile back. The ActivFlora is just so hard to find and if you find it, it can get pricey.

Does anybody have any experience with Marfied Controsoil?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9IHJ1U...lid=1TSKTJUF9Y8I7&coliid=I1735Y64GYJ8F4&psc=1

My understanding is that its a cheaper alternative to AS. I dont think it has the fertilizer added into it, which would explain why its less expensive. Other than that, I think its made of the same material and has the same properties. Im thinking of giving it a try, but am trying to gather more info first.

That was a really interesting thread, I read that one awhile back. The ActivFlora is just so hard to find and if you find it, it can get pricey.

Yeah for sure. AZ gardens sells it for around ~$20 I think, but I'm not sure what shipping is. I wish Amazon had it for that price. :fish2:

Is Brightwell or AS heavier than FS? I used eco complete in my large tank because never wanted to deal with replacing it but in my 7.5g I just started I thought 1. I have shrimp and 2. It wouldn't be that bad to replace, I could just put all the critters in 10g quarantine and swap the stuff out.

So I went with FS and I hate it, it blows all over, gets stuck in the filter, I can't seem to plant baby tears in it and I can't gravel vac it... If AS or Brightwell is the same I will probably just go with eco complete again.

And what about sand? like moon sand or Flourite sand?

Back
Top Bottom