ADA Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am contemplating switching to ADA when I move in April, since I will have to tear the tank apart then anyway.

I have a few questions.

1.) I don't use full ECO now because I don't like the black substrate. I use a combination of ECO, Flourite and PFS. I see the Amazonia is black, but the Africana and Malaya are brown. I am contemplating mixing 80:20 Africana:Amazonia, because I have both african and amazonian plants in my tank and want to get the best nutrients for them.

2.) PowerSand ... What is the purpose? Should I need to get some? How much? What ration ADA Soil to ADA Powersand?

3.) The ADA Additives: Anyone using any? Will I need any of them?

4.) What is this I hear about an ammonia spike from using ADA AquaSoil?

5.) If i am breaking down the system, how would I best change out the substrate? My moving plan is to put the plants in one cooler, the fish in another, fill each with tank water, and move asap. I'll be keeping the filter media in another cooler with tank water. Get them to the new house, and set up. Where would be the best place/time to replace the substrate? Logically, it would be to remove the substrate at the old house (make the tank lighter), add new substrate at new house, fill, let settle, add plants and fish and filters, and plug and pray.

Thanks in advance.

The Amozonia or Africana are only color choices, and do not indicate what type of plant will grow best. All AS works the same.
PS, supplies nutrients...that is the "power" in the powersand. It is not needed if you plant on dosing anyways. Many folks use it and are happy, if you want a lower light and lower maintneance tank, AS and PS are the ticket. If you want highlight, EI etc..then just AS is fine.
You can spend a lot of money on ADA chemicals,a nd they do work well. Or you can just by bulk ferts and save money like most folks. You can be very successful either way, one way just lets you be successful with more money in your pocket.
There are some who claim this, perhaps it is more associated with PS than AS. IME, there is no overt spike of any kind associated specifically with AS only. That said, AS will/may have a strong effect on your KH especially at first. This effect slows after a couple months.
Your move plan sounds reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom