Adding an artificial plant to planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vacrawfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I realize it is prob frowned upon, but my 6 gallon fluval edge does not seem to have great lighting for live plants. The back corner especially is lacking in light so no plants really will thrive there. I am thinking about getting an artificial plant to put in this 1 corner. Can I just get one from the craft store or do I need to purchase one specifically for an aquarium? The rest of the tank is planted and looks ok. Thanks!

If you are going that route, I would get one made for aquarium use. You never know what type of paint they use on those ones from the craft store.

Why not stick a java fern in the back corner? You can get a windelov that looks nice and should be fine there. It might not grow super fast, but it won't die off.

Don't do it! Live plants are so much better!!! You can Google DIY light upgrade for Fluval Edge. There's so many ways to do it. Are you using the older Fluval edge with the halogen bulbs? Switching those to led is a simple update.

You can also put a strip of LED across the top glass.. something like this:
Edit link:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192220

We actually have 2 6g-Fluval Edge tanks and have live plants in both. In one we have Crypt Wendtii and Parva, Bolbutis, Micro Chain Sword, and Java Fern Wendilov. In the other there is Ambulia, Dwarf Sag, Crypt Wendtii, Micro Chain Sword, Bolbutis and Water Sprite. I add a touch of Flourish Comprehensive for a fert weekly and API Leaf Zone (iron and potassium) about every 2 weeks. Then both tanks get 1.5ml of Liquid Carbon daily. The plants grow find even in the corners.

I have a new fluval edge w led. I have 3 java ferns which look ok. I am always removing yellowed/brown leaves from them. I need a tallish plant for the back and was hoping for a diff look from java fern.

This was my jungle with the Halogen lights, before I rescaped it.

I had a little frilly white/clear type plant in my left rear corner for a long time, it brightened up the back corner as well as made a nice cover for fry, then it changed to a shrimp tank, with my little CPO as you can see int he pic. Took it out when I rescaped and had tones of live plants to fill up.

Used that corner for the Java moss and would occasionally turn it with my trusty chop stick to keep light a little even. worked great! You can see in the pic that the filter flow would move it around too.

60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg
[/IMG]

Go with Rivercats on this one, she has a beautiful tank.

BTW, we have an edge too. No upgrade other than the led bulbs that replaced the halogen.. we have crypts in the corners.

I don't use any CO2. Is that my prob? Where can I get this selection of plants online? My local store does not seem to have them.

IMO liquid carbon such as Excel always helps. Plus alittle fert and even a root tab if you add any crypts.

As for plants I get mine from both AquariumPlants.com and ExtraPlants.com. You can also check out this forums Classified ads and look on AquaBid or Ebay. Another thing is ask your LFS if they can order them. Many of the plants listed except the Bolbitus I've seen for sale in tubes at Pet Smart.

Back
Top Bottom