adding driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadgetrunt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy all. Ive finally started adding some fish to my planted 30 gallon tank and spotted a piece of driftwood that would go perfectly in the tank. Whats the best way to add it? It already has an anubias on the piece thats growing well and it came from the same tank I got my Otocinclus cats from. If its going to be a big change and risk to my little buddies then ill pass but I'm curious if its a viable option. Thanks.

It should be perfectly fine, especially if it was in the same tank with the otos. Driftwood isn't harmful to animals unless it contains sap or comes from a wood that is known to be toxic to aquatic animals, but the ones available in pet stores have usually been properly dried and prepared and are suited for aquarium use. You have nothing to worry about. The otos might actually appreciate it, as the wood might release some tannins which are very beneficial (and they prefer their pH on the slightly lower side anyway).
The only potential risk is if you stir up too much substrate while putting the driftwood in, as that can release a ton of harmful bacteria & cause an ammonia spike that could be dangerous to the fish.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I had to pull my decor out to remove a rather troublesome Chinese algae eater that was sold to me as a siamese and he was bothering my Ottos and my Corys. Ive got about an inch or 2 of planted substrate and the some fine gravel over that and hopefully didn't mix it up too much. I added some stress coat when I put everything back in and have the Chinese in a 1 gallon beta tank until I can get him to a friend's tomorrow. Should I throw anything else in? I'll probably go by and get the driftwood tomorrow. I hadn't planned on adding anything else until next week. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom