Adding live plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Geoff

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

I've got fake plants and live plants (just 2). They seem to be doing well and growing. I want to add some more plants to the aquarium. And would prefer live ones, but I'm not sure how much foliage I can add before I need additional things(co2, special substrate. Etc) which at this time I'm not ready for the investment. My question is, with standard fluorescent lighting, and just adding some flora pride with my weekly water changes.. How many plants can I have in there? Also, any recommendations for hardy beginner plants I should add? Thanks, any advice is welcome, I'm new to the hobby.

Jeff

I have a 29 gal tank. It was purchased in a kit (aqueon) and I am not sure what lighting came with the tank.

Attachments

• image-174841298.jpg
    image-174841298.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 58
If you look at the bulb, it will tell you what kind, what wattage, and what color temp. If the nomenclature confuses you, just post whatever you see on the bulb(s).

30 in. Fluorescent. Aquarium reflector. 120 volt. 20watt. 60 hz.

Ok, so that is a T8 bulb. Unfortunately, it won't grow/sustain much of anything in the way of live plants... maybe some java moss and a few other low light species. If the plants you have in there now are doing ok, you can stick with those species and add more.

Should I upgrade the bulb... Or would I need to purchase a whole new hood? I've had 2 live plants in there for 3mos now, should I just stick with them then. Thanks for input.

Unfortunately with florescent lights, you cannot upgrade the bulb without upgrading the fixture. The ballast is specific to firing a certain wattage/size of bulb.

I would stick with it if what you have now seems to be doing ok, and you are not overly interested in adding more demanding species of plants.

Back
Top Bottom