Adding live plants: Will my tank have more algae or less?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a problem with "green water". Diatom filter cleared the tant, but I know that the water will become green again. While still waiting for phosphate removing media I've just ordered, I'm thinking of benefits of having live plants in the tank.
There are two contradicting claims that I'm getting from articles about this issue. One is that algae will be present in greater extent in planted aquarium. Other is that fast growing undemanding plants will take nutritients from the water that algae use for growth in unplanted tank.
What is correct?

As far as I've always understood, the latter is correct.
Plants soak up alot of the nutrients in water that algae need to grow. With all the stuff it needs going to the plant, the algae will be starved out.

HTH 8)

Agree 100% with Devilishturtles. I have two tanks, one planted...one not. The unplanted tank has had the same level of green algae since it was set up months ago. The planted has yet to see any visible green algae. However, if you do create excessive nutrients (more than the plants can soak in) algae will more than likely make a small presence. Excessive nutrients can be created with too much lighting and overfeeding fish.

If your plants are actively growing, this is true. If you don't provide your plants with enough light, they'll senesce and begin dropping leaves and other organic bits into your tank which rot, providing a net nutrient gain to the algae. I'd say that the majority of problems that people have with planted tanks and algae is based on the similar conditions that plants and algae need to thrive--Lots of light and nutrients. If you persue this further, you can find a lot of information on how to help your plants outcompete algae (CO2 supplementation, micronutrients, sub-gravel fertilizer, etc). Assuming your light level is enough to grow some quick growing plants, their addition should result in reduced greenwater. By the way, what is your light level?

If you need some quick growing suggesions, hornwort and anacharis have always outpaced everything else I've put in my tank.

By the way, what is your light level?
I have one 35W lamp in my 72g tank and have a capacity to add one more lamp. Usually, I keep light on for 8-9 hours a day. I've been given suggestions to cut lighting to 4-5 hours a day, but don't want to do so because I work from home and like to spend several minutes in front of the tank every now and then.

I think of two ways to solve this problem:
1. I can add fast growing and not demanding (in terms of light) plants and keep lightings for 7-8 hours a day.
1. I can add a lot of floating plants (so they cover most of the water surface) and add another bulb, which I have anyway. In my opinion, lots of floating plants with good light will grow fast and consume nutrients. At the same time, they will cover the surface and prevent most of the light from penetrating the tank and (that way "grean water" algae will have neither enough nutrients nor enough lights to grow.

What would be the best plants for each of these cases?

Does it get sunlight? 35W is Flourescent? Can you up it a little (maybe double) to give plants fair shot?

1. Anacharis, hornwort, and marimo balls have grown for me under 60W incandescent. Not fast, mind you, but looked alright. Ive failed with anubias afzelli and had brown java moss in that enviornment. I dont think you need to cut back from 9 hours a day, but of course adjust and experiment (including wattage) if algae doesn't go away. Ive read that single celled algae doesnt do well in short lighting periods, so some do 6 hours + couple hours off + 6 hours on, etc. Might be worth trying for you (I've not tried it).

2. Hornwort. Covering the surface may affect O2 levels, dunno. Keep it under control and I think Hornwort would do well for you.

Back
Top Bottom