adding plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I am new to all this fish stuff. I am now thinking of adding a few plants into my tank that already has artificial plants in it. can I do this? I only have gravel on the bottom - I don't want to add dirt - do I need dirt?
what are some great low light plants that I could add? I was looking for something like dwarf hairgrass or micro sword

:thanks:

There are lots of threads like this- of course you can add plants to gravel, and no you don't need dirt. I think plants prefer finer substrates but gravel is fine, I have 2 planted gravel tanks.
Dwarf hairgrass and microsword are not what I consider low light, but my idea of low light is VERY low light. What tank and light do you have?

There's a great list of "great lowlight plants" or something floating around on this forum and on google. Try looking for it, that's a nice list. Java fern, anubias, and dwarf sag are easy to find and they take low light fabulously.

Back
Top Bottom