Adding Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter2009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I've had a 36 gallon bow front since 2008. The tank had been fish only but I recently added 2 plants which don't seem to be doing very well (multiple leaves have fallen off and others are turning brown). I currently have a Fluval Aquasky light which has 2400 L and 3000-25000 K with a fluorite substrate. I have very limited knowledge about planted tanks so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sup Otter!
I need your details!
What plants did you have trouble with?
Liquid ferts? Root tabs?
Carbon source?
Duration of photoperiod?

sit in silence...

Hey Tiger!

One of the plants is a Java fern and the other was given to me by somebody who didn't know the species. My photoperiod ranges from 8-10 hrs. I plan to add a liquid based carbon source soon. I had read that root tabs weren't needed but I take that isn't the case?

Hey Tiger!

One of the plants is a Java fern and the other was given to me by somebody who didn't know the species. My photoperiod ranges from 8-10 hrs. I plan to add a liquid based carbon source soon. I had read that root tabs weren't needed but I take that isn't the case?

Root tabs are needed for heavy root feeders,java ferns are water column feeders and providing liquid ferts would benefit the fern..also not a demanding plant to maintain..

sit in silence...

So I've been told Java ferns have a rhizome (like a big fat nob at the bottom) apparently if you bury those the plants die. I haven't had much experience with them but my anubias which also has a rhizome has been chillin on this one rock for almost a year and is doin fantastic.

Haven't had such great luck with fluorite but maybe I'm not doing it right

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, Java ferns need to have their roots/rhizome tied to a rock or driftwood. Usually some sort of thin cotton string will do the trick. What is the other plant? Can you post a picture or at least describe it?

Root tabs are for heavy root feeding plants like Amazon Swords, Cryptocoyne species, and others. Most plants that have roots in the substrate benefit from them.

Back
Top Bottom