adding plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sesos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Now that my 10 gal is happy and stable, I'd like to convert from plastic to live plants. I'm currently using gravel. Would I need to get rid of this stuff? If not, can I slowly start replacing plastic with live? Should this be in the "planted" forum(I really am just getting started).

1. Yes it should be in the plant forum...

2. Is your tank fully cycled yet?

3. What type of lighting have you got?

and 4. Don't get rid of the gravel...the plants need to root into it. :mrgreen:

thread's not dead!! -- moved to plant forum for better exposure

----

Most plants will grow in plain gravel, some will not. How deep is your gravel?

Some plants, like bunch plants, do not care since they don't have a heavy root structure.

Plants like swords on the other hand enjoy a thick, rich substrate, high in mineral content - like clay or clay and sand.

Lighting is the most important aspect when it comes to growing plants in the aquarium - with a 10 gallon tank, you've probably got a single 15 watt tube, which gives you 1.5 watts per gallon ... this is enough light to grow "low light" plants.

If your tank is several months old, your plastic plants have formed an important part of your tanks biofilter, and you will need to remove them slowly so as to not upset the biofilter.

My recommendation would be to leave your plastic plants for the time being, and add some bunch plants, like anacharis, green cabomba, foxtail, penny wort ... these plants should be happy with your lighting level and will take over the role of biofiltration from your plastic plants ... then in a few weeks, you can remove the plastic plants and try something else!

Thanks for moving the thread.

My gravel is about 2 inches deep. My tank is two months old. I'm not sure of my lamp wattage, it's a stock ViaAqua 380 kit. I'll ask my lfs if they have a "better" replacement bulb for my situation.

I'll try adding a single plant tonight and see how that goes. Thanks glmclell for your guidance and recomendations.

as long as you enjoy the color of the bulb you have, don't bother changing it ... unlike conventional screw in light bulbs, which are different wattages but the same size, fluorescent bulbs of the same size are the same wattage, so all 18 inch standard bulbs are 15 watts, and therefore the same "brightness"

the difference in price between bulbs of the same size is due mostly to marketing, and some science having to do with the way the bulb produces it's light as well as the color temperature of the light. For example, a $5 18" bulb from home depot and a $20 18" bulb from the pet store are the same brightness and the same wattage, although your eye might think one is brighter than the other, and the more expensive bulb will have a different color

lighting is a very overwhelming market for aquaria, and there is a HUGE alphabet soup of acronyms out there. look through our DIY forum - there is a lot of information on lighting contained in there.

as for your gravel ... 2" is not enough to really grow heavily rooted plants, however, you can always grow your plants in pots, when you are ready, you can go to walmart and some smallish terracota pots (like 2" across) and a bag of Schultz Aquatic Potting Soil. just rinse the soil, add to your pot and plant something in it, after a few weeks the plant will establish itself and should start to grow for you!

Heh, I threw this in the other post yesterday, but dunno if yoiu saw it. If so, sorry for the repeat!

Depends on the plants and your lighting as well.

I've a couple of Amazon swords in terracotta pots filled with gravel. They are doing well (well, sorta. There are new leaves all over that are green and healthy. My pleco is eating the older ones tho LOL). I did them in pots so the plec wouldn't dig them up, as well as making it easier to move them when i gravel vac. Not a lot of wattage there, and I don't fertilize, although I have a tank full of poopers and that may be why its not necessary ;)

I'm not sure what plants will take hold well in just gravel in the bottom; the others will have to chime in with suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom