Adding Supplements & Weird Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks! So, I added my Flourish supplements (potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus and trace) to my tank to see if I could help bolster the newly arrived plants.

I'm not seeing any adverse affect on stock, but am curious: my nitrIte levels jumped incredibly high from my test yesterday after a 30% PWC. They went from 0ppm yesterday to 5ppm today.

Before I do a PWC, should I give the supplements more time before doing a chem test on the water? Would the supplements create a abnormally high reading?

Water specs:

78*F
7.4pH
Ammonia 0ppm
NitrAtes 5-10ppm
Phosphorus 0ppm
Copper 0ppm
GH 400ppm (yes, we have liquid rock for water here)
KH 125ppm
And nitrItes are as mentioned.

Insight is appreciated. Thanks!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nitrates in a planted tank are supposed to be between 5-10ppm. Plant use nitrates to grow.

Fish?are?friends?not?food

My nitrAtes are at 5-10ppm. But, my nitrItes are what jumped up after dosing. I talked to Seachem and they said the zinc in those supplements can cause a false positive reading.

? Diana Lee ?

Dosing nitrogen would raise nitrate. But if you dose everything properly things should even out at 5-10ppm

I am not worried about my nitrAte. If you read my first post, the nitrIte reading is what spiked.

Anyways, figured it out by talking to Seachem. All is well in the fish world.

? Diana Lee ?

Do you have a picture of your tank?! Is love to see it ?

Back
Top Bottom