Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Advice for low-tech 55g planted aquarium

I have a 55g fish-only aquarium that I am converting to a planted aquarium. I am using eco-complete substrate and just purchased a 2X54w hagen glo light fixture. I thought I was doing well because it would be ~2wpg. Except now I have learned that with t5ho bulbs that the wpg rule has been thrown out the window (that I have more like 3wpg, but who knows?). Anyway, my tank is 48" long and 19" tall and 12" wide. How can I adjust my lighting using this fixture to be able to grow low-medium light plants without having to use CO2?

I've had suggestions to remove one bulb, but then it seems like I would have too little lighting. Suggestions also to use one actinic and one daylight bulb... how does this decrease the lighting? I don't understand the science behind it... can someone explain?

Also, does anyone know if it's even possible to use only one bulb in the hagen glo fixture (I haven't received it yet, it's being shipped).

Any suggestions or info would be great because I am thoroughly confused.

Also where is the best place to order plants online and what types of plants should I buy?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you cant use just one bulb it wont turn on that way. by putting an actinic in there its kinda like having one bulb in it because plants and algae dont really use that light spectrum.
i started out my 55 with the same glo. i think you might be fine with 2 bulbs. however if you want to be sure you should step it up and throw some co2 in there.

Tags
55 gallon, low-tech, plant, planted, planted aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com