Advice Needed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal FW semi-aggressive tank, that has the following inhabitants in it:

2x Pleco's (I believe sailfin's but not 100% sure, am also trying to find a new home for them, they are about 8-9 inches each)
Oricinis Eel
FW Angel
Clown Loach

I also have a BGK that I am growing out in a different tank, but would eventually like to put in the 55 gal.

The only three fish that I really want to keep are the eel, bgk, and clown loach.

My questions are:

1) Is that combination possible?
2) I would like to plant this tank, what kind/type of plants would work well?

TIA

I believe that is the name of the eel, but I may be wrong. He is off hiding right now, but here is a previous pic of him

s4020177ai8.jpg

rkilling1 said:
I believe that would be an ornate bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis).

You believe correctly (which makes him a Polypterid and not an eel at all).

If that is the case, the plecos will probably eventually rasp on him, injuring him, and he will eat (or attempt to eat) the angel and the loach (if the loach is under 7" long). He will also make a go at the BGK unless it is pretty much the same size as him (keep in mind that the bichir will eventually reach 23"-26").

He has already nailed another of the Angels that I had in there. The BGK is just a bit smaller than he is, which is why he is in another tank right now. He leaves the loach alone, but I tend to keep a steady supply of feeders in the tank for him to munch on.

When I get rid of the pleco's (which are getting too large for the tank (and I am tired of them ruining all of the decor in the tank)), any suggestions for plants to put in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom