Advice on Planted Tank for Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Once I get my larger tank next year, I wanted to turn my 10 gal that I currently have into my 'tetra tank', as I have mentioned in other posts. Althought I am teetering now on a 20 gal for the tetras and using the 10 gal for my QT tank.

Anyway regardless of the tank, I have read that tetras look fantastic and thrive well in a planted tank. I just simply have no idea where to begin. What type of substrate? What type of plants? If I keep my 10 gal will I need to change my lighting? It currently has 2 15w/120v bulbs on it. The light fixture came with the top of the tank, I just had to buy the bulbs.

Can someone start me off on this game board in a direction? I would really love to see my favorite types of tetra schooling about in leafy greens. :)

TIA!

I have dwarf gouramis and neon/cardinal tetras in my planted 10g.

I have Tahitian Moon sand (lovely black sand) with a layer of laterite underneath as substrate.

I have 32.5 watts of plant light on there, and 17.5 watts of actinic; I discovered neon/cards and dwarf gouramis look AWESOME under actinic light, so I sacrificed some wattage to get that effect of them practically glowing. Figure on at least 3 watts per gallon which is what you seem to have; dunno what sort of spectrum those lights on your tank have tho.

I have a mix of: anubias, amazons, cryptocorynes (sp), cyperus helferi, 2 marimo balls and what may be some sort of sag. And maybe some other plants LOL I'm such a newbie at this. The anubias is really too big a plant for a 10g; I prune it weekly and it still tries to push to top off the tank LOL

I also have one of those Hagan Nutrafin CO2 thingies. It definitely has made a diff.

The tank has been up and running since August :)

Here's my 5 lil buggers in a recent pic of my tank:
http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/planted-10g/planted_11_9_03_1
http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/planted-10g/planted_11_9_03_2

Back
Top Bottom