Advice on Pressurized Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueiz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im going to finally take the plunge into pressurized co2 for my 75 g planted tank. As I understand it, the parts needed are co2 regulator, needle valve, check valve, tubing, tank, and the diffuser.

I have the tubing and a regulator and I'm sure it won't be hard to find a tank. What type of needle valve and check valve do y'all reccomend? I also want a drop checker, any recommendations on this would be great too.

You are correct about the parts needed.

Regulators usually have needle valves attached, but if not, I'd use just a regular brass one. Clippard is the brand that most people use. For the check valve definitely go with brass as opposed to plastic. It will last longer. I got mine from Rex Grigg. If your regulator doesn't come with a needle valve, you'll want an inline one. That and the check valve are cheaper from Rex, but it says he doesn't keep the needle valves in stock, so it might take a little longer. Aquabotanic.com has them too, but for a little more.

I like the glass drop checkers just because they look better. Green Leaf Aquariums has 1 for $25.99 which is probably the cheapest I've seen for sale in the US lately. They have the brass check valve (Clippard) too, but not a needle valve (go figure). :) If you are ok with just a useful drop checker, Red Sea makes one that isn't lovely, but it works!

Hope that helps!

My regulator just has the high pressure side and the low pressure side..

Thanks for the input!

i think i have a extra needle valve. ill take a look. you have pic of the reg?

Here's a picture of it. Sorry it's so tiny..lol

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 78
by the looks of it the thread looks bigger then the one i have. i think its 1/4th inch thread that looks more like 1/2 inch.

Yeah, Im going ot have to get a reducer or something for it. Hey, it was brand new and free so I can't complain..lol.

OT, do you have a link to your plants for sale?

yea ill pm it to you... searched real quick didnt find your email address lol i am sure i have it somewhere. dont want them to get mad for posting it.

ill look for the needle valve... i asked a friend who uses those regulators how he has his set up though maybe his is a different model.

hey blueiz. for a drop checker i would highly recommend the cal aqua oracle style drop checker. it can be hard to see the color of the indicator solution with the reflections from plants and lights in your tank. the oracle has a white plug in it that makes it easier to see. the red sea drop checker does the same thing but, imo is hideous.

i would also recommend a solenoid for your regulator so that you can hook it up to a timer

They are 1/4".
Use a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer.

ok i got the wrong size but now you know what parts you need to plug in the needle valve.

Back
Top Bottom