Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone link me to a medium light bulb for my 5 gallon tank? My light bulb at the moment is at 5000k 14 watt and I'm hoping to get a 6500k.

Whats the best type of fertilizer and how do I use it? (bury or just sprinkle over the gravel?)

Do i need CO2?

Revenantwing said:
Can anyone link me to a medium light bulb for my 5 gallon tank? My light bulb at the moment is at 5000k 14 watt and I'm hoping to get a 6500k.

Whats the best type of fertilizer and how do I use it? (bury or just sprinkle over the gravel?)

Do i need CO2?

Is it a screw in bulb?

What type of plants do u have?

IMO u do not need CO2.

yep desk lamp

Java moss and Java Fern but i want to go with more plants

guess not then :D

Revenantwing said:
yep desk lamp

You're fine with the 5000K at 15w on that size tank and those plants IMO unless you're going for high light plants. Go to plantgeek.net and look at low/med-low plants.

+1 on no co2

Revenantwing said:
yep desk lamp

Go to your local home improvement store such as lowes, home depot, ace hardware, etc. And look for mini or regular CFL's. There should be one marked 13 watts 6500k and 800 lumens.

Ok for those plants root tabs will be best.

is there anything in the middle? Another member on the sight told me i should go to a 6500k bulb. Would 6500k be considered high light?

Whats with that +1 lol? I'm not familiar with the system on forums :/

Revenantwing said:
is there anything in the middle? Another member on the sight told me i should go to a 6500k bulb. Would 6500k be considered high light?

IMO yes

+1 means he agrees.

Revenantwing said:

Save your money, at 5g there's a limited type of plant you'll be able to put in there anyway. Plants do best with a K value between 4200K and 10000K and if you had a bigger tank, I suggest other lighting. It's the watts that provide the low to high range more than the kelvins. 6700K is the optimal point of the spectrum, but not a must.

+1= I agree with the no co2 comment.

Revenantwing said:
regarding the root tabs. Which brand is best? Do I bury it in the gravel?

IME doesn't matter which brand. YES YES YES YESSSS. Bury them all the way down and do not disturb them because if you do your tank will be a BIG brown mess!!!

Revenantwing said:
the big brown mess

Ohhhhh.

The root tab will dissolve and stay in the substrate. If u disturb it all of the dissolved root tab will come out of the substrate and into the water.

Revenantwing said:
regarding the root tabs. Which brand is best? Do I bury it in the gravel?

You only need root tabs with plants that feed heavier from their roots than the water. You'd be better off getting a liquid fert with the plants you have, since most plants draw their nutrients from the water column. Seachems Flourish or Flourish Excel are good liquid ferts.

Back
Top Bottom