Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Affect of High Nitrates?

Hey Everyone,

Just added live plants to my tank yesterday. Tested my water completely for the first time since the tank was set up 2 yrs ago.

PH: 7.2-7.6
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20-40

What affect will the Nitrates have? I haven't PWC'd since wednesday due to melafix dosing for a tetra with fin rot. I will do a 50% PWC this coming wednesday. Are the fish/plants in danger? What will bring down the Nitrates other than a PWC? Should I do a small PWC before Wednesday to bring the Nitrates down before something goes nasty?

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

I think you're fine. Depending on what plants you put in and how many, they actually might consume the nitrates. As long as you stay below 40 the fish are fine as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
I have a few bundles of anacharis, a couple bundles of hornwort, 2 small bundles of some sort of val, and an amazon sword

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

20-40 is a pretty broad range. Can you tell from the color what the reading is closest to?

Nitrates are something plants actually use, so it's better if you do have some in a planted tank. That reading should not do any damage to either your plants or fish. If it climbs higher, though, do a PWC before Wednesday.

I am moderately planted and my nitrates stay between 10-20 ppm.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say closer to 40, but not quite.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I don't think you have anything to worry about with nitrates of 40. You have to get really above 80-100 for it to start affecting the fish.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Actually I wouldn't consider 20-40ppm of Nitrate to be high at all. Perfectly fine for both plants and fish. Generally we recommend keeping Nitrates under 20ppm when just keeping fish, but in the 20-40ppm range once plants are added to help ensure that the Nitrates don't accidently bottom out. Many actually are unable to keep Nitrates under 20ppm as a direct result of having Nitrates in their tap water, and end up aiming for 20-40ppm of Nitrates as their goal even without plants.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com