After CO2 injection will pH swing during water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about to install a CO2 system on my aquarium and once I have it up and running correctly am expecting it to take my pH down to around 7.0 from ~ 7.8. As I am studying up on all of this, I am curious to know how others deal with this potential large swing in pH during water changes....

I am in the process of transforming an 8-year old community tank into a planted aquarium.

Thanks in adavance!

The setup:
72g Bowfront - 4x 54w T5 lights - Laterate Substrate - Rena XP3 Canister Filter - 300w inline heater - and coming soon: automated milwaukee C02 system, w/ Reactor, etc.

Fish:
1x Rainbow Shark - 6x Clown Loaches - 1x Opaline Gourami - 6x Neons - 4x Rummynose - 1x kuhli loach - 1x cory cat - 1x common Pleco - (trying to find 4x SAEs)

Plants:
1x Amazon Sword - 1x Melon Sword - Lots of Jungle Val - 1x Java Fern - Glossostigma - Dwarf Hairgrass - 1x Crytocoryne wendtil - 1x Red Crinkle Leaf - Lots of Red Rubin - 3x Balansae

Attachments

• dsc06082_187.jpg
    dsc06082_187.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 45
It will not matter, As long as the KH stays steady your fish will be fine. Fish don't mind PH swings from CO2, they are much more sensative to KH swings.

i dont worry about i. my ph from the tap is about 8 and my co2 runs so high it drops my ph to about 6.5. i do 50% water changes with no ill effects on the fish. that isnt a very large ph swing so i wouldnt worry.

Same here, my tap pH is about 7.6 and it drops to ~6.9 after a water change. My KH also drops to about 4 after a 50% water change (normally is 6) and I don't notice any ill effects.

I do 50% rarely though, I'd be much more concerned if you are changing the KH by large amounts frequently.

ph swings due to CO2 doesn't hurt fish. It's the ph swings due to a swinging kh that hurts the fish. My tap is 7.4-7.6 and I drive mine down to 6.4, and do 50%+ PWC's, and the fish love it....

I have to buffer my water with baking soda or I would see regular pH crashes. Tap is 6.4 and ~0dKH. I try to keep KH at around 5-6 dKH to stabilize my pH. By doing that, I add enough baking soda to raise pH to about 7.2, but the CO2 lowers that to about 6.8 or so. I know exactly how much to add during my weekly 50% PWC.

My tap water is pH ~7.8 and the kH is 6, so sounds like things should work out just fine.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom