Air stone/Bubbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a low tech planted aquarium. I don't have CO2. I'm using a Bubbler and an air stone, as I have a canister filter and an internal filter. I don't get much water agitated on top. My question is are the air pumps dissipating the CO2 from my tank? Should I remove them? Secondly if I do, will my plants provide enough oxygen for me stock?

I have a low tech planted aquarium. I don't have CO2. I'm using a Bubbler and an air stone, as I have a canister filter and an internal filter. I don't get much water agitated on top. My question is are the air pumps dissipating the CO2 from my tank? Should I remove them? Secondly if I do, will my plants provide enough oxygen for me stock?

If u have a canister u can provide agitation with a spray bar if needed, although the bubbler should be fine for a non pressurised setup. I'm pretty sure it has no effect on liquid carbon etc. :)

I took the bubbler out of my low tech planted set up because I read that it will dissipate the CO2 that builds up to some extent when the lights are off, which the plants then use up when the lights come back on (this is the idea behind the Walstad "siesta" in the middle of the day, which will allow for some CO2 to build up as the lights are off, which can help feed the plants through the rest of the day). I don't have any way to know if the bubbler was actually off-gassing the CO2 though. Spray bar could help with surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom