Air stone in a planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdemler68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, thought about an interesting topic that seems to get debated both ways. What are your thought of an air stone/bubble wall in a planted tank? Has anyone seen a difference in using them vs not using them? I know it’s debated that the surface agitation dissipates co2 out of the water. But what most people don’t know is that it can also add co2 into the water when it has been depleted. Can anyone else chime in? Would love to get a good discussion going

Td...

I keep air stones in my tanks for the benefit of the floating plants. The plants grow better with a constant source of oxygen moving through the root system. I keep the easier to grow plants and leave the tanks open. This way the plants get CO2 from the surrounding air in addition to the nutrients from the dissolving fish waste material in the tank water.

B

I don't run co2 yet. But, I see a difference in my 55g with and without an air stone. Imo, it helps move the water around more, when my plants have a little move to the leaves, is a sign they are getting what they need. Without an air stone some plants are at a stand still ( don't move) and I get algae on them. I've watched videos about this subject. I don't believe the agitation from the surface adds co2. Imo,and experience, it's just better for your plants because of the amount of movement it adds to the water. This is way it is suggested to add an air stone to tank while cycling. More movement to be able to filter and cycle a tank better/ faster.

I agree with your statement about an air stone adding CO2 when it has become depleted. That’s equilibrium; the surface movement is facilitating it. This can be beneficial if CO2 is not being injected and the light intensity warrants the addition of such.
If injecting CO2, an air stone (or surface movement/agitation) will dissipate some CO2 but it will also help with gas exchange (help if O2 is depleted). You can run higher levels of CO2 if there is enough O2 present. Some run an air stone during lights out to help remove excess CO2 (since it is not needed at that time).

All 4 of my tanks are CO2 supplemented with a timer-activated pH monitor. High-light, fertilized also.

I run an airstone in the 2 with community fish -at night-, when the CO2 levels might get too high. I deliberately gas off some of the CO2 with high surface agitation from the airstone. Otherwise, I get stressed/dying fish from CO2 overload. My betta doesn't need it so I don't run it in that small cube tank.

Air stone turns off and CO2 turns on about 3 hours before my lights come on so that I have CO2 at the proper level (~30ppm) when lights ramp up.

This has worked well for me and I find that I don't go through a whole lot more CO2 than when I do not run the airstone.

Back
Top Bottom