Airstone in planted aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurfQ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Another Newb question here. Is it a good idea, bad idea, or neutral to put an airstone or bubble wall in a planted tank? Note that this will have only low to medium light plants and no CO2 injections.

Without CO2 injection, an airstone will help stabilize CO2 at ambient, circulate the water, and keep oxygen levels up.

I, also, have a walmart bubble stick (made of some sort of fiberglass material, instead of the cheap long stones which don't seem to put out a nice curtain like this thing). I leave it running 24/7 in my 30g planted. I used to leave it running whenever my light was on, about 14 hours a day, but my plants have grown a lot faster and the green has gotten a lot more vibrant since I've started leaving the pump on all the time.

I may stop in today and buy the longer bubble stick, as I've rearranged and could now have the entire back of my tank as one big bubble curtain. :)

Yeah the bubble walls are cool. I have one in my goldie tank. I used to have the wal-mart stick one, but then I found this cool bendable one :D Also from wal-mart if I recall correctly.

I guess with an airstone, level of CO2 in the tank is stable as level of O2. Therefore, no CO2 system is needed unless you want to have high level of CO2. I will try this.

Back
Top Bottom