Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

albino bristle nose pleco

folks,
Guy at LFS said the Albino Bristlenose Pleco will eat all my plants. Says they are vegetarians. He recommends going with a dwarf Cory which he says stays small.
im looking for a bottom feeder that will keep the bottom clean without uprooting my dwarf clover or Hydrocoytle verticcilli.

any recommendations are appreciated
Cliff NY

Old 08-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Re: albino bristle nose pleco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffz
folks,
Guy at LFS said the Albino Bristlenose Pleco will eat all my plants. Says they are vegetarians.
LOL, they are vegetarians for the most part, which makes them good for cleaning the tank of algae.

A lot of people like having them in their planted tanks. I am currently looking for any type of BN pleco to add to my tanks.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have 4 bns and they do not eat plants. Cories do not eat algae. Both will eat left over food.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Get half a dozen cories as your bottom feeders. They do a great job. Just make sure that you get some food that will sink to the bottom where they can get it. Don't rely on food that the other fish don't eat. I recommend some sinking wafers from New Life Spectrum or Hikari.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My ABN pleco does not eat my plants. He can certainly uproot them when I replant, though.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Folks--thanks for the feedback!

Maybe ill try one Albono Bristlenose and one dwarf Cory? Although I dont have an algae problem at all. I do have one Oto and 3 Japamino shrimp.

55 gal
thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
If you are going to get any cories you should get at least 5. They are more comfortable in groups and they are less likely to be stressed out and swim about the tank than if you bought just one.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

One more vote for they don't eat plants (unless starved). I have one in my 20 gallon moderately planted tank and while they will occasionally rasp my anubias a bit too much, they do not eat plants. They are docile, but do not get picked on due to their size and spines. They will keep the glass pretty clean of algae and enjoy my nightly hikari algae wafer. All in all the perfect fish!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oto's should also be kept in groups
Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Folks,
Thanks for all the advice,
I bought one Albino Bristlenose Pleco and 2 more Japonica shrimp. They were out of Dwarf Cories.
The shrimp like the algae wafers--now I have to see if the Pleco discovers them!
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

He will, you can bet on it. Oh, I have 7 of them in my 75g...none have eaten any plants and that includes plant debris.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I also agree they don't eat plants. I have a long fin albino bristlenose in my 54 gallon planted. And like Majolo says they do a good job uprooting plants! Or at least mine does. He keeps uprooting my anubias...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The shrimp like the algae wafers--now I have to see if the Pleco discovers them!
Thanks!
You are purchasing algae eating fish, so I would have to assume you wanted them for that purpose? Eating algae.

FYI, if you feed them, they are not going to eat the algae.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Folks,
I dont have any algae. (hope I dont jinx myself!) the albino Pleco is sucking on the algae wafer--the shrimp play with it also!
Just had another load of 30 baby guppies today! yikees- tank is going to overpoulate soon!!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkilling1
Quote:
Thanks!
You are purchasing algae eating fish, so I would have to assume you wanted them for that purpose? Eating algae.

FYI, if you feed them, they are not going to eat the algae.
Not necessarily. Most fish do not have a satiation reflex (ie I'm full!). They will eat, and eat, and eat some more unless otherwise preoccupied (mating, fighting, territory guarding, etc.). While they will probably survive without being specifically fed in most tanks, they will not necessarily stop eating algae if they get a regular feeding. When the lights are off or you've been gone at work for 6 hours, they are hungry just like us and will start rummaging around!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Enigma
Not necessarily. Most fish do not have a satiation reflex (ie I'm full!). They will eat, and eat, and eat some more unless otherwise preoccupied (mating, fighting, territory guarding, etc.). While they will probably survive without being specifically fed in most tanks, they will not necessarily stop eating algae if they get a regular feeding. When the lights are off or you've been gone at work for 6 hours, they are hungry just like us and will start rummaging around!
Justin, you can search the net and find many sites that have experienced what I posted. Once you get them to start eating regular foods, they stop eating algae.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

This isn't so much a matter of whether or not they feel food, but rather that they prefer the algae wafers, etc and will wait for more of it rather than eat the less preferred food. If they aren't fed for long enough they'll finally concent to go back to eating algae.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albino, nose, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com