Algae Algae Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All tank details and info:

25gallon
96W CF (3.8 wpg)
Eco Complete
Fluval 205 Filter
Fluval 100W Heater
1/8 tsp KNO3 (3x weekly)
1/32 tsp KSO4 (3x weekly)
1/3 capfull flourish (3x weekly)
50% Water change weekly

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: 7.8
KH: 14
GH: 19

Bacopa Caroliniana (8-12 approx)
Elodea Densa (10-15 approx)
Hemianthus Callitrichoides

BN Pleco
3 Oto's
2 Amano Shrimp

The tank has been set-up since before xmas and it has been put on hold due to other concerns such as work, money and a car.
Because of this i have lost some of the enthusiasm but hopefully i will gain some of this back if i can beat this algae.

What can i do to kill, destroy and get rid of this algae?
I've read a little on the 3-day blackout but i am concerned about my HC's survival chances. This plant has had a hard time so far with a blanket of algae over it most of the time. The only time it gets the light is when me and the pleco remove some of the algae.

You need to correct the cause of the algae before you go ahead with a blackout. Without fixing the problem, you will just end up with more algae.

You need CO2. What are you running now?

EDIT: KH of 14 and a pH of 7.8 is ~7PPM CO2.

Your CO2 is only coming out at 7ppm. Are you injecting CO2? If so what method are you using for generation and diffusion?

EDIT: Mistyped the CO2 level.

Oh right!

I'm using DIY CO2. I make a mix up consisting of 2 cups of sugar, and 1 tsp of yeast then fill the bottle to the start of the neck with luke warm water.

I have two 3 litre bottles 'A' and 'B' i change A one week then B the next to keep the 2 week change consistant. I have the 2 tubes coming from the bottle top going behind and up into the tank where there is a 750ml coke bottle base where the bubbles go into. The bubbles then fill the upside down bottle base and are then released into the water this should give them enough time to diffuse i think.

I have never been confident with my DIY CO2 and as much as it pains my wallet and back balance to say so i think i might have to invest in a quality pressurized system!
All i need with a part-time job and currently saving for a car! grrr!

Sounds like you're doing the classic bell method for diffusion. If you could switch to a powered diffusion I think you'll get much better results and won't have quite as many problems with algae. Some inexpensive options would be to feed the CO2 directly into your filter (this may or may not work well with your particular canister filter) or you could pick up an inexpensive powerhead/waterpump and feed the CO2 into that.

Yeah i think i must be using the bell method.

I dont think i'll be able to feed the CO2 into the filter.

I'll look into the powerhead/waterpump and see what i can do.

Thanks for the help!

The first link appears to be a DIY CO2 setup in a pretty package most of which you wouldn't need. The second link appears to be a diffuser of some sort. Since I'm unfamiliar with it, I can't speak to how effective it would be.

Really all you need is a fine mist air stone and a powerhead and you would be ready to use the mist method. Probably would be less expensive than either of those two options.

Back
Top Bottom