Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just came from vacation and saw I closed my co2 tank by mistake and had a huge algae bloom in my tank. I believe it's hair algae I'm posting here before I proceed with any treatment. I fed my fish once before I left and did a 80% water change before I left. The parameters are the usual ammonia 0 trite 0 trate 0 ish. Has a slight hue but nothing very noticeable. I have a pair of apistos and a baby apisto in the tank with various rcs and amano and snails. I use flora max and root tabs for fert and have 2 t5ho 24w bulbs over it. I was planning of removing the inhabitants and putting the plants in a 1-5 ration bleach water bath and then dipping them in dech water. Then dosing the tank in some h202 and letting that sit before doing several 100% water changes. I believe this should clean up the problem but if anything else you guys may think of let me know also my lights run 4 on 4 off 4 on. I dose when I'm home flourish comprehensive and iron. I believe I knocked out all the info so if anything else let me know.

Attachments

• image-862718693.jpg
    image-862718693.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 83
Holy Staghorn! That's quite the crop you have there.

I'm not a fan of putting bleach in my tanks, so I generally avoid that. Here's what I would do:

Manual removal of as much algae as possible.
Spot treat with H2O2 or Excel anything you can't get at/remove.
Use Excel for 1-2 weeks or until algae is gone.

As an aside, A+ for coming with a plan in mind. I appreciate people being proactive.

Ah no bleach in tank. Was removing plants for the bleach treatment and for what's left in the tank using h202. Ty for the response. I'm starting on it tomorrow and probably do a 3 day blackout just in case to hopefully fix the situation.

Back
Top Bottom