algae bloom-help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Guys,
I had time this morning to really look at the tank. I noticed one piece of driftwood covered with Algae-(it was hidden behind plants) other pieces are fine. My giant hairgrass has a coating of algae on its hairs. My rocks have a bunch of perfect "dots" of Algae. A few leaves of my swords are starting to get algae.
Its obviovious I have an algae problem "starting" ?
Before I start fert dosing--should I cut down on light? 2x65wx11 hrs---55 gal tank (2.36wpg)

Ive tried to "do the right thing"
Bought new lights(Coralite), new substrate (eco complete) dry ferts-(greg Watson)
I know I have high phosphates-10+
Also--how do i get babytears to stay down? the lead strips I put on them turned some leaves yellow and the weights are starting to get a white corrosion. Take the weights and and they float!

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Cliff

Cliffz said:
Guys,
I had time this morning to really look at the tank. I noticed one piece of driftwood covered with Algae-(it was hidden behind plants) other pieces are fine. My giant hairgrass has a coating of algae on its hairs. My rocks have a bunch of perfect "dots" of Algae. A few leaves of my swords are starting to get algae.
Its obviovious I have an algae problem "starting" ?
Before I start fert dosing--should I cut down on light? 2x65wx11 hrs---55 gal tank (2.36wpg)

Ive tried to "do the right thing"
Bought new lights(Coralite), new substrate (eco complete) dry ferts-(greg Watson)
I know I have high phosphates-10+
Also--how do i get babytears to stay down? the lead strips I put on them turned some leaves yellow and the weights are starting to get a white corrosion. Take the weights and and they float!

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Cliff
ok to get started... are you running CO2? if so what is your levels?
KH=?
PH=?

what species of algae do you have? that can help in point the problem(s)
HERE is a link to help with ID

and yes, if i was you i would cut back on the light while you work on this :D

good luck, the answers to those questions should help with helpful answers :D

That is a lot of light for that tank. Sounds like you are going to have to add a Carbon source.

burying some of the leaves of the baby tears in the substrate.

I planted Glosso in mine and I had to bury a lot of the plant and let it grow back through the substrate.. I use the anchors and rest them on top of the pieces that the loaches lift up.. So far so good.. I can move the anchors around since they aren't wrapped on any pieces.

A 55g is tricky from a lighting standpoint. Its depth makes it behave more like a 75g based on the light you have over it. Think of a 55 as a narrow slice out of the middle of a 75.
So from that perspective, 2x 65w is not super high light.
That said, CO2 is almost certainly needed. Is the tank heavily planted? That could help some. Definitely cut the light back to 10hrs. Read up on EI (there is info in the stickies section). At your light level you may not strictly "need" to go EI/CO2. But all things considered, if you do, you will have a nice algae free tank in short order.

Guys-Thanks for the quick feed back
Looks like I have brown algae. Phosphates are over 10 PH is 7.1
NO Co2
I do have 1 chinese algae eater and an albino cat, three loaches
Except for the piece of driftwood, the algae is on the plant leaves, some spots on flat slate.
I'll cut back on the light for starters until I hear from you! thanks for the tips on the Glosso!
Thanks
Cliff

Back
Top Bottom