Algae bloom in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I just developed green water in my tank. I've been fertilizing the water and leaving the lights on for 12 hours a day. I'm going out of town for 8 days so I'm not going to be able to tend to it right now. I cut the light back to 6 hours a day to try to prevent the bloom from getting really bad. Is this going to be enough light for my plants?

Ya I have my lights on from 430 till 1140, so 7 hours and my plants are doing great

agree with both of the above... 12 hours can cause a lot of problems, especially in newer tanks. It also could be a sign of a nutrient imbalance as well... you said you are fertilizing. What are you adding to the tank? Are you testing for N/P/K or using EI or what? Algae, being simpler forms of plants, can capitalize on nutrient excesses or deficiencies.

Bottom line, I would cut the light in half (as you did), and look closely at my fert regiment.

A+ on Fort. What are your parameters and maintenance routine? Also, what type of light and plants do you have?

Back
Top Bottom