algae BOOM!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
My water is basically all green. I can't see the clear to the back of the tank. The algae isn't on the tank walls it's in the water. What should I do?

Can you describe your set up? Lighting, size etc.

A blackout usually will get rid of it. A diatom filter will also do the trick. You need to find the cause or it will be coming back.

I'd find the cause first, fix it, and it will go away in time with pwcs. What size tank is it and number and kind fo fish? I'm assuming it's a green coloration, right? Could be from too much light, direct sunlight, overfeeding, or excessive phosphates in your tap.

What are your water chemistry levels, ie: NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4, pH, and so on?

The potential cause(s), will depend on your water chemistry, lighting, fertilizer dosing. You will need to try to find the cause or, yes, it will come back. NH3, high NO3, high PO4, and/or excessive light with the abnormal chemistry levels. If you are running high light, decrease the amount of light and then try to find you problem first, then proceed.

Once you know your water chemistry are all at acceptable levels, then a blackout can work. But if it doesn't, some overdosing on Excel has worked well for me. I have had major headaches with green algae and green water, and will be more than happy to try to help. Eventually, I bought an other pump and added a UV light filter. Now my tank is looking fantastic with crystal clear water - knock on wood.

I can definately tell you something NOT to do. That is add chemicals such as "Algae Fix" I had a horrible time after using that and it was recommended by a local fish store.

Check all your water chemistry levels and post them. We can all go from there. The people here are great and offer great and helpful advice.

Good luck!!!

I'm with Rupret on the algae chemicals. I used Algae Destroyer once. All the algae was gone (not in the water, but on the plants/glass/etc., but I think it totally messed up my chemistry because I had a bacteria bloom for about 2 months after using it!

Rupret said:
What are your water chemistry levels, ie: NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4, pH, and so on?

The potential cause(s), will depend on your water chemistry, lighting, fertilizer dosing. You will need to try to find the cause or, yes, it will come back. NH3, high NO3, high PO4, and/or excessive light with the abnormal chemistry levels. If you are running high light, decrease the amount of light and then try to find you problem first, then proceed.

Once you know your water chemistry are all at acceptable levels, then a blackout can work. But if it doesn't, some overdosing on Excel has worked well for me. I have had major headaches with green algae and green water, and will be more than happy to try to help. Eventually, I bought an other pump and added a UV light filter. Now my tank is looking fantastic with crystal clear water - knock on wood.

I can definately tell you something NOT to do. That is add chemicals such as "Algae Fix" I had a horrible time after using that and it was recommended by a local fish store.

Check all your water chemistry levels and post them. We can all go from there. The people here are great and offer great and helpful advice.

Good luck!!!

why woudlnt you recomnd algae fix ..... i cant seem to keep the staghorn away and thought about buying it..

Some can eliminate your beneficial bacteria and it's just another unneccessary chemical. There are ways to eliminate algae naturally without the use of chemicals.

Chemicals that are designed to kill Algae can harm your biofilter, your plants, and your fish. Those chemicals just mask the problem by temporarily removing the algae, often to have it come back later even worse than the first time. There are other safer ways to deal with it that will get rid of it permanently, ie balancing your nutrients.

Fishyfanatic and Purrbox both summed it up. My experience with "Algae Fix" did clear it temporarily but not only did it come back with much more of a vengence, thus much more difficult to get rid of, but it also killed many of my fish. Clown loaches, for one, do not have scales and such chemicals will harm and kill them. Also any geriatric fish will also be very suseptible.

Well, you could do blackouts or just wait for it to clear up. I had green water for 3 months one time drove me crazy. After I corrected my water parameters it still was very stuborn. Bought a uv sterelizer 1 day and i had crystal clear water!

Back
Top Bottom