Algae buddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevekerr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I use this in my 10 gallon tank too kill a lot of algae i had it the tank over a year ago and I still can't put plants In it .will it ever get out of my tank . I don't have a pic of the stuff but it say not too use if plants were in the tank or shrimp or shell fish and band in many states

Can I ask who makes it or if there is a link? Curious myself, guessing it is copper based?

Edit - have you tried running carbon in filter?

Algae grows when Nutrients, Lights, and Carbon levels are not in sync. Rather than adding another chemical to the tank, I like to adjust those levels until it starves off the algae.
After a year of wc's I don't think it's this product that is killing your plants... What lighting, Ferts, and carbon source are you using? Melting and leaf shed are common when a plant is placed in new water, it's a way for the plant to grow new leaves that are better suited to collect nutrients from the new water column that it is placed in. When the plants don't replace those leaves is when you know you have a problem with the 3 things I mentioned above.

I have read in the forum that Hydrogen Peroxide is the go. I have taken my plants out of the tank today and given them a squirt with the hp, i hope it works and doesn't kill my fish!! Will let you know how it goes

I have read in the forum that Hydrogen Peroxide is the go. I have taken my plants out of the tank today and given them a squirt with the hp, i hope it works and doesn't kill my fish!! Will let you know how it goes

I do the same thing but I soak mine in a 1/10 ration of hydrogen peroxide and water

Thats a good idea SG, how often can the HP treatment be used.
Hopefully i won't have to keep ruining the plants to get the algae off.
I've got a 240L tank and dont particularly want to go down the co2 stage at this point, I dose every 2 days with excel but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

I do it when my algae starts needing to be tamed agian. Only soak for 3 minuets

Never known to at H2O2 3% soln that I've seen. I use some in an eye dropper at 6% and squirt on small patches in tank to spot treat. Leave filter off for 20 minutes.

Pretty funny at chemist - 'but honest, it's for my aquarium not me :) )

I do have some notes on dosing an entire tank but need to check. I have 1 to 3ml/ 1 gallon but can't remember if that was for algae or something else.

Hey OP are you absolutely sure it's the chemical residue that is causing your plants to die? How's your lighting, fert, CO2 and all that? What plants have you tried to grow? Give us all those juicy details! :p

The reason I ask is because I use an old mop bucket that's had industrial chemicals in it in the past (like 6 months ago) and never had an issue after a couple (10-30) rinses.

I think the OP is referring to this stuff:
Jungle Laboratories No More Algae Tank Buddies 8 - count Box Consumer Reviews | Hate scrubbing your tank? No More Algae Tank Buddies | Epinions.com
It doesnt appear to be made anymore, but Tetra makes something similar, if not in fact the same.

I doubt this is the cause of your plant problems a year and countless water changes later.
Somebody above mentioned lighting, CO2 and fertilizer. I would start with that.

Figure out what kind of plants you want to grow and then do some research to find out if you have what that plant requires. I made the same mistakes when I first tried live plants. I thought that all light was the same and that the plants could live off the CO2 exhaled by the fish. So, I ended up with a lot of dead plants and frustration.
Also, some plants will "melt" when they are first introduced to a new aquarium (Crypts almost always do). The leaves get thin and clear and seem to melt off. This is fairly normal, and they typically bounce back as long as their requirements are met.

Back
Top Bottom