Algae eating machine that won't touch my plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, not to let this OP go to waste I'm changing my thread to what snail will not multiply (so it has to be sexual), that will eat an assortment of algae (if it only eats the algae on the glass I'll be happy), and that won't quickly outgrow my 20gallon tank (so no baseball size snail!). All help is appreciated! I've kept my original post in italics for those that care about MTS.

I have been dealing with algae problems recently and near the surface (I assume due to the higher light) have more problems then lower in the water. I saw what looked like an egg sac but since it was covered in brush algae, removed it from the tank.

I've been trying to get some more MTS in the tank and am wondering if they are live bearing snails or if they lay egg cases near the surface. I would like to limit (eliminate? :) ) the common snails that I see in my filter/substrate, and so if MTS do not lay eggs near the surface I'll be sure to remove these ASAP, otherwise I'll leave them.

Thanks.

justin

EDIT:

Answered my own question with a google search. MTS are live bearing snails so any egg casings you see near the surface are NOT from them. They multiply directly in the substrate and as such can take over a nutrient rich substrate (read lots of dead plant and food matter) extremely quickly.

Seems since I got these guys only a couple months after starting the planted tank (and never aerated by hand the soil), they never multiplied that quickly. I'm wondering if I should bury a couple of clipped leaves in the substrate to speed up their numbers??

Have patience with them. I finally found information about them breeding and yes, they are live bearers, they do give "birth" in the substrate and it can take up to 3 months for each brood to be born. I would be less surprised if you don't actually have a lot of really tiny ones like I have. I have found nothing on how fast they grow but it seems like it is not very fast.

I think it all matters on how old/dirty the substrate is. Several members here have posted how they have HUNDREDS if not thousands of snails in the tank after only a little while. Others, like myself, definately have more than we started with (liquidphyre was kind enough to send about 10 my way), but not the numbers I would like.

Maybe I need to look into some other type of snail for glass algae eating duty, and gentle algae eating duty on my plants...preferably my green spot algae that I seem to get in pretty good amounts...would a small apple mystery snail be safe for my plants?

Basically I'm looking for an algae eating machine that won't touch my plants! :)

Yah, I got mine from toddnbecka and have had them for a couple months with little noticeable multiplying. I guess I don't feed as much as I thought I did. I also got some pond snails, ramshorns I think and they do an ok job of eating on the leaves and stuff but i don't let their population get very high. Maybe I should and see if they do a good job on the plant algae.

From my research, quick though it might be, they don't do much algae eating....but are great for the substrate.

try an Oto catfish they are algae eaters that are ment for planted tanks. they eat it off the plants but wont damage em. the one i had also worked over my driftwood and glass.

The best I could find was the nerite snail as being the stated best algae eating snail. Will not reproduce in fresh water and is supposed to eat algae as it's primary diet. Said they will eat all types of algae and diatoms. They are supposed to even be able to rasp off green spot and hair algae so they might just be the ones you need.

flip_lx said:
try an Oto catfish they are algae eaters that are ment for planted tanks. they eat it off the plants but wont damage em. the one i had also worked over my driftwood and glass.

I have 2 in my tank, they love diatoms, but won't touch hair or BBA unfortunately.

Those nerites sound like just the ticket. I'll have to see if my LFS carries them, otherwise I'll need to see if anyone is breeding them. I take it they are SW/FW? (due to the not reproducing in FW comment) So maybe I need to post in the SW forums if I can't find any for sale locally....

azgardens.com and aquaticplantdepot.com have the Olive Nerites. Sometimes you'll find the fancier shelled ones on AquaBid or in trade, but for whatever reason these don't seem to live in FW as long (according to others I've talked to, at least).

Nerites would definately be the algae eating machines. You could also get Pomacea bridgesii which eat algae and won't touch your plants as long as they're healthy, they just won't go to town on the algae the same way Nerites will.

Nerite snails, and even cooler are Nerite limpets. Neither of them will breed in the aquarium. They munch all types of algae and dead plant matter. Even will munch the green spot off the glass once the tastier algaes are gone.
This has some Nerite info at the bottom
this is a retailer, but shows some of the variety you can get in Nerites

That said, no animal will make your algae go away. You have to balance tank conditions so algae growth is minimized, then an animal can keep the small amount of algae growth in check.

oh, one other comment on Nerite... they do not like soft water, and will die in a day. Also, I have an Eco complete tank with a moderate hardness, but any Nerites die in a day in there. Not sure if it is the ECO or something else.

Zezmo,

Not a problem, my tap is 10 degrees GH. I'll have to check those out czcz if my local LFS doesn't carry them. My biggest worry is purchasing an improper labeled snail and having it attack all my plants. Should I get 2 or 3 for a 20gallon moderately planted tank? Or stick with a solo snail? :)

EDIT: Just went to aquaticplantdepot and found these. Is this what I'm looking for?

Marble snails (Neritina reclivita)

They seem to be the only genus of nerite I can find on the site...

EDIT #2: Jeez! 59cents a snail (I was going to order 3) and then $12 shipping!

EDIT #3: Jeez! azgardens.com requires a minimum order of $35! I can't win...

Back
Top Bottom