Algae growth on moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batesy82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got some Christmas Tree moss from a friend recently and it had a little tiny bit of this furry algae on it, I figured my shrimps or other algae eaters would take care of it no problem. Since then my moss growth has exploded, but so has this algae.

Advice or suggestions?

PS I know this moss isn't all Xmas moss; there is another type mixed in as well.

looks kinda like BBA to me. Fun stuff. using a syringe or even a piece of air line tubing (like a straw) injecting some h2o2 directly on to it will clear it up. Did the trick for me.

It is hard to tell from the pic, but BBA was my first guess to. Is it very darkly colored and kind of stiff, like beard stubble, or is it more soft/fluffy stuff?

It's dark, much darker than the moss. And it looks soft and longer than beard stubble.

Here is a different pic, not sure if it'll help any better.

Attachments

• image-2847577942.jpg
    image-2847577942.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 65
I cant tell... mine looked like a full fledged beard. ahhh here's a pic of mine.. look close?

img_1291828_0_e9f889abb8fb99315e6bf92b2775c95d.jpg

I'd recommend some siamese algae eaters if you can find them. They are about the only thing that eats BBA. Also BBA is usually a indicator that your co2 levels are not where they should be.

Peyton said:
I'd recommend some siamese algae eaters if you can find them. They are about the only thing that eats BBA. Also BBA is usually a indicator that your co2 levels are not where they should be.

The BBA came from a friends tank, but expanded in mine. Would this mean my levels are off?

Agree. Spot treat with either h2o2 or excel. Both are effective. It may take 3 or 4 treatments.

Also manually remove/trim as much of it as practical.

Back
Top Bottom