Algae ID/Fertilizer suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been doing pretty well since I last posted here I started dosing with seachem products (Florish,potassium.nitrate and phosporus) and I successfully switched from RO water to tap water using seachem Prime and it's working out fine.

I have some issues though, some of my Java ferns are see through towards the tips of the plants, there are still some green spots on my Anubias (though there are a lot less and I no longer get them on the glass) and now I have a new algae it's like hair I'm not sure what it is or what it means but here is a couple of pics:
img_738390_0_c307783dd9544456fc6e8f48026a18c5.jpg

img_738390_1_2055df16e7d79bdf277902d732fe93d7.jpg

Obviously I have some fertilizer issues and that's the source of all these problems. I can't quite figure out what amount I should be dosing.

My tank specs

Tank: 20 gallon high

Light: 65 watt coraflife ligh

Filter: 1 HOB penguin 200 with blue filter floss cut to fit and 1 small aquaclear filter filled with Bioballs.

C02: DIY system with 2 - 2 liter bottles that connect to the intake on a powerhead

Plants:Java Moss MicroSword Marimo Ball
Java Fern Anubias Barteri Anubias Coffeefolia Rotundifolia Rotala, Indica
Foxtail Ceratophyllum demersum Green Cabomba Cabomba caroliniana
Water Wisteria Hygrophila difformi

Livestock:6 black phantom tetras 2 ottos 1 cory cat 1 pearl gourami 1 yellow lyretail molly 1 pineapple sword 1 african dwarf frog, tons of random baby snails that caught a ride on my plants

I'm just about out of fertilizer so I’m going to place an order for more tomorrow but I don't know if I should get any thing extra besides Seachem Florish,potassium.nitrate and phosporus
or what amount to dose.

How long are your lights on?

You are dosing Seachem products, but how much and on what days?

Have you thought about ordering dry fertilizers? They will save you money in the long run.

Does you penguin filter have the bio wheel installed?

That looks like staghorn algae to me (as best as I can tell from the picture).

Clear tips on Java Fern is actually a sign of healthy new growth. The tips will turn the same color as the rest of the leaf eventually.

rkilling1 said:
How long are your lights on?

You are dosing Seachem products, but how much and on what days?

Have you thought about ordering dry fertilizers? They will save you money in the long run.

Does you penguin filter have the bio wheel installed?

My lights are on from 11am to 11pm
right now I am dosing every other day
Florish 1/2 cap
Potassium 1 cap
Nitrogen little less then 1/2 cap
Phosphorus little more then 1/2 cap
1 capful is = to 5mL

I looked into ordering dry but I was very confused an intimidated by what mixture I should use and how much.

No the Penguin filter does not have a biowheel but the aquaclear does have bioballs, I don't know if that matters much.

JRagg said:
That looks like staghorn algae to me (as best as I can tell from the picture).

Clear tips on Java Fern is actually a sign of healthy new growth. The tips will turn the same color as the rest of the leaf eventually.

I know the pictures are hard to make out but that's the best my camera will do with out a flash.

I didn't know that clear tips are Java ferns are actually good! That’s awesome they also have lots of sprouts that I've been planting all around the tank.

on a side note I also have Java moss in there and even though everyone says it's easy to grow and will grow under any conditions it's one of the few things in the tank that hasn't really grown at all...any reason for that?

As far as dosing goes with seachem products, this is what I have come up with. The following doses will put you in the EI dosing range with those products:

Flourish Potassium should be dosed at 20 mls three times a week.

Flourish Nitrogen should be dosed at 20 mls three times a week.

Flourish Phosphorus should be dosed at 16 mls three times a week.

I have not figured out the flourish yet.

As you can see, that is a lot of a bottle every week. I believe you should look into dry ferts. If you would like I will give you a quick rundown of the products you will need and how to dose them.

rkilling1 said:
If you would like I will give you a quick rundown of the products you will need and how to dose them.

That would be amazing if you could do that, the only reason I didn't go with Dry was because I was very confused on what I need to buy and how much I need to use.

Do you have any plants that would be affected by Excel? Could try dosing Excel in addition to your CO2. I double dosed in my 10G to get rid of my greenwater. Didn't take long to get rid of it, did a PWC, then double-dosed it. All plants, includingcrypts, are just fine. And greenwater is gone. Now a crystal clear tank.

www.gregwatson.com is where most of us purchase our dry ferts from.

These are the chemicals you need to order: (1 lb of each will last you a long time)

CSM+B Plantex
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2P04)
Potassium Sulfate (K2S04)

When you place the order, I highly suggest you also order (2) 8 oz twin neck dosing bottles. This will make daily dosing very easy.

So now you have the ferts, lets cover the dosing.

This all depends on your plant mass. If you are heavly planted then you will be dosing as follows:

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

For a lighter plant mass this will suffice:

10- 20 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/8 tsp KNO3 (N) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 (P) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp K2SO4 (K) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Your target ranges are:

EI target ranges
CO2 range 20-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
KH range 3-5

These values and dosing schedules come from:

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

and

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/1800-ei-light-less-techical-aspects-estimative-index.html

Now we will break down the dosing into something easier to dose.

I mix 1 TBSP of CSM+B into 250mls or 8 oz of luke warm water. This is prepared in one of the twin-neck dosing bottles. (this gets stored in the refrigerator)

next I mix 1 TBSP of KH2PO4 and 1 TBSP of K2SO4 into the other twin-neck dosing bottle. (again use 250 mls of luke warm water to mix)

these will be dosed at a rate of 5 mls 3 times a week. The KNO3 will be dosed dry or mixed with tank water prior to dosing.

The potassium, Nitrogen, and phosphates get dosed on opposite days then that of the Micro or trace (CSM+B) fertilizer.

So lets start on Sunday. You perform a 50% PWC and then dose 5mls of Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2P04) and 5 mls of Potassium Sulfate (K2S04). You will also dry dose 1/4 Tsp of Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) during this same time.

Monday you dose 5 mls of trace (CSB+B) fertilizer.

Tuesday and Thursday are the same doses as Sunday. (No PWC)

Wensday and Friday are the same dose of Micro as Monday.

Saturday you sit back and take pictures.

Sunday starts it all over again.

EDIT: corrected dilution of dose bottles. 8 oz is 250 mls not 500.

thanks alot! I just placed my order but
I had to order 4oz twin neck bottles because they were out of 8oz
think I can just cut your measurements in half to mix?

exactionfigure said:
thanks alot! I just placed my order but
I had to order 4oz twin neck bottles because they were out of 8oz
think I can just cut your measurements in half to mix?

Yes, that will be just fine (1.5 teaspoons to 125mls of water). It's easier to measure 5 mls that way. You could still add 1 TBSP, but measuring 2.5 mls is a great deal harder. You will see once you get the bottles.

Lonewolfblue said:
Do you have any plants that would be affected by Excel? Could try dosing Excel in addition to your CO2. I double dosed in my 10G to get rid of my greenwater. Didn't take long to get rid of it, did a PWC, then double-dosed it. All plants, includingcrypts, are just fine. And greenwater is gone. Now a crystal clear tank.

I agree, Excel is a great additive to the planted aquarium when it's needed. I am currently Excel overdosing my tank and it is doing wonders.

But, inorder to have a heathly tank, you have to fix the problem that caused the algae in the first place. Once that is done, Excel comes in and cleans house.

Rightnow I don't know what is causing the algae in exactionfigure's tank. I believe it to be lack of nutrients and possibly low CO2 (but with 2 -2L bottles going into a PH, he should be good). That is why I am trying to get his nutrients in-line. Once he is up to spec, I believe his algae problems will go away and then Excel would be a great addition to get ride of the remaining algae.

exactionfigure, do you know what your CO2 levels are?

exactionfigure said:
I don't and at the moment I have no way of testing-but it cranks out alot of bubbles.

If you have a KH and a pH test kit, you can figure out the CO2 concentration by using a KH/pH chart. If you only have a pH test kit, you can still get a rough estimate by preforming a pH on the tank water and then get a cup of tank water and either let it sit for 24 hours or add an airstone for about an hour and then measure the pH. You are looking for a pH change of about 1.0 pH units to be at 30 PPM CO2.

Back
Top Bottom