Algae in canister filter hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iodizedfate

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am I forever screwed to clean them? Or can I use black tape or something to block out the light so less grows. I don't mind cleaning it, but it's a process and I would be a lot happier if I didn't have to do it so often.

You could use a big pipe cleaner. I have seen some 2 foot ones in music stores for saxaphones. I would just attach a stick to the end and shove it through the hose until it has gone through the hole thing. It might take a few times to get all the gunk. Are you sure it's algae? Algae doesn't grow in conditions with no light. Is it transparent tubing?

We all have to deal with this sometimes. You're not alone. You can get black tubing from a home center or online. They still need occasional cleaning though.

I cleaned my xp3 tubes easy. I have some fishing line (spider wire) with a tear shape 1oz sinker attached to the bottom. I run it threw the hose and out the other end. Wet some paper towel and lightly stuff it on the end the sinker came out and then pull it threw. Easy to do, cheaper than always buying new pipes. Just my 2 cents.

Iodizedfate said:
Am I forever screwed to clean them? Or can I use black tape or something to block out the light so less grows. I don't mind cleaning it, but it's a process and I would be a lot happier if I didn't have to do it so often.

Are you sure it's algae? I think it's just waste build up.
What is often? Unless its restricting water flow you should only have to clean the tubes maybe once every two months.
Just yesterday I cleaned the tubes on my XP2 & 4 filters for the first time in five months. Sure they had a little gunk built up in them but it wasn't to where my filters couldn't perform there job.

Back
Top Bottom